how do I sync keyframes with each other & preview

dogwalker wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:05 PM
I'm messing around with some tutorials on titling, and they involve using keyframes in multiple areas; specifically, I create a text event, then use keyframes in it to modify the text movement, then I open pan/crop and put keyframes in there.

Now, I'm manually placing keyframes, but this reminds me of a few things which have perplexed me from the beginning.

The most important thing is - how do I "see" the effects of what I'm doing in real time? When I'm in the event, for example, and place some keyframes and change something about the event, my preview window is still sitting at wherever I happened to click the timeline. I'm having to visualize the results in my head until I exit the dialog and play the clip.

The other question is, is there any way to have "global" keyframes which can bind to all my edits (track motion, pan/crop, whatever)? This may be a dumb question, but it seems it would be handy in some cases.

Thanks,
Kerry (Dogwalker)

Comments

dogwalker wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:09 PM
Hmm, perhaps I should just delete this thread and experiment more. I *thought* I'd just found the solution, but now can't duplicate it. So, I'm off to try to figure out what's going on.

My son asked me what was wrong (I guess my puzzled look gave me away), and I showed him, but of course this time the preview *did* match wherever I placed the cursor or keyframe in my pan/crop window.

So I wondered, "huh?" and then I noticed, "ah ha! I have the correct track selected! I'll bet I didn't have it selected before!" Sure enough, a simple test confirmed it. However, now I can't get the preview window to move with the edit window again (by that I mean, if I have the generated media window open and move around in it, the preview window doesn't change).

Sigh, I'm such a noob.
albert_kes wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:20 PM
In a window of a tuning of effects push "lock" (Sync Cursor)

and then the cursor in a window of effects and on timeline will synchronously move. In ProType Titler, unfortunately, such is not present.
dogwalker wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:22 PM
Thanks!!

Unfortunately, like you said, it's not in the Generated Media or Titler. I wonder why they'd omit something so useful.

Well, thank you very much, though, that helped immensely for the pan/crop and others.
albert_kes wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:26 PM
That that in ProType Titler is not present possibility to edit caption in real time mode is the HUGE minus. Too very much it is not convenient me...
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:27 PM
only reason I can think of it's omited is taht with that on, when you change ANYTHING a new keyframe is made. If you moved to later in the event & saw a spelling mistake, you couldn't just fix it, you'd have to go back to the first KF & fix it, and it wouldn't be changed in any other KF's.
dogwalker wrote on 5/26/2009, 8:30 PM
wow, Friar, that would be bad. Speaking of that, I now see that I'd better plan better. I created a few keyframes in the generated media window, then decided to change the font color and size. Well, I had to go change it at every keyframe. Dang, that would be nice to copy, but I had made other changes at those keyframes, and didn't want to lose those.
MarkWWWW wrote on 5/27/2009, 5:33 AM
The reason is explained here.

Mark
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/27/2009, 6:57 AM
I hate to say it, but the non-generated media can be used multiple times too. The only difference is that when you copy/paste non-generated media it doesn't let you paste via reference. besides that, it's exactly the same as generated media. Using the sync button wouldn't be any different then applying an FX to an event, copy/pasting event to another spot on TL & then having the FX not match up with other events.
dogwalker wrote on 5/27/2009, 3:17 PM
hmmm, I personally think that's lame. So, because I *could* have a reference, I can't sync my edit window to the preview window? It's very easy to have a reference count, or detect that a particular event itself is a reference, and ghost it in those circumstances, but if the event isn't a reference, and if its reference count is zero, then don't ghost it.

Anyway, thanks again for the information. I just have to work with it.