Comments

jetdv wrote on 1/11/2005, 7:38 AM
Tools - Scripting - Run Script and pick the script you wish to run.

If you place the script in the Script Menu folder, Tools - Scripting - and pick the script from the drop-down list.

For larger scripts like Excalibur, Neon, Tsunami, Veggie Toolkit, Ultimate S, and a few others, the installation program will handle putting the proper files in the Script Menu folder. Then it's just a matter of Tools - Scripting - and pick the script.

If desired, buttons for the scripts can also be placed on the toolbar.
rs170a wrote on 1/11/2005, 7:40 AM
First of all, do you have the Microsoft.NET framework installed? If not, get it from here.

As far as using scripts are concerned, Chapter 19 in the Vegas 5 manual (Chapter 17 for Vegas 4) spells it out pretty well.
Some scripts were included with Vegas but there are a lot more out there. For example, Scripting Links has several sites listed.
Once you've gone through the manual, feel free to come back and ask questions.

Mike
Grazie wrote on 1/11/2005, 8:19 AM
Do you know what a script is for? . . G
ThomasATL wrote on 1/11/2005, 9:00 AM
Not following, Gracie. There is that little paragraph explaining what each script does. I have no reason not to believe it.
Grazie wrote on 1/11/2005, 9:32 AM
Excellent! Got that out of the way.

What problems are you having with understanding how to implement them? Installation? Deciding which ones to use? I guess until I actually "fired" one up and saw what it would do I was in a similar boat.

I'm listening,

GraZie
ThomasATL wrote on 1/11/2005, 10:31 AM
It's just ignorance. Actually, I will go to manual to see what's there. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that most of what I really need comes from the forum where there is no mention in the manual. So I guess I've defaulted to the forum first.

So...installation; Where to get them? (both have already been addressed). I also assume that you can apply a script to a single track? This I don't know, but I haven't been able to get to my studio today as I have been chasing a one year old throughout the day.

I agree that it would probably be exciting to see one in action. I probably would already have Ultimate S and Neon if there were examples to look at as opposed to "this is what you can do" scenarios. Again, I kind of need to be shown.
PierreB wrote on 1/11/2005, 12:27 PM
" I also assume that you can apply a script to a single track?"

You don't "apply" scripts, actually, you run them... they're like macros in Word. Start off with the free scripts on the VASST site, download a script that seems useful, save it in the vegas/scriptmenu folder, then restart Vegas. The script will be under the Tools/script menu as has been pointed out.

Enjoy!

Pierre
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/11/2005, 12:36 PM
rs170a - If everyone here had the RTFM mindset this would not be anywhere near the forum that it is. No offense intended. I am just saying that one of the reasons this forum is so great is that people are willing to answer questions even though they know it's in the manual. I know that it can get old having people ask "?'s" over and over again, but I certainly appreciate all the work that everyone dose to help make this forum as great as it is. Including the many posts that I've seen you make over the few months that I've been on here reading and posting.

Dave
rs170a wrote on 1/11/2005, 2:31 PM
Dave, I usually prefer to help folks rather than tell them to RTFM but, in this particular case, I thought it would be the best thing for Thomas (the OP) to do. IMO, the section on scripts in the manual is short (all of 3 pages - 5 minutes tops) and fairly straight forward. Then, when he had finished reading these 3 pages, come back with any questions he may have - and I'm sure there would be several - and we'd be glad to help him. I apologise if I appeared to be abrupt with him as that's not my style. I for one greatly appreciate this and al lthe other great Vegas forums and try to do my small part in spreading the word about how great Vegas is, especially to Premiere & Mac users :-)

Mike
rs170a wrote on 1/11/2005, 2:43 PM
... I have been chasing a one year old throughout the day.

Been there - done that. Mine are now 5 & 9 and play by themselves a whole lot more :-)

Anyway, as PeterB pointed out, scripts are simialr to macros in that they allow an event or series of events to be automated. My recommendation would be to go to and download the package for Vegas 5. It includes a .doc file that explains what each script does. The more you get into Vegas, the more you'll appreciate just how powerful scripts are and how much time they can save you. For example, there's a Batch Render script that allows you to render one file to a number of different formats (for example, avi, mpeg, wmv and real) with just a few mouse clicks. Each one still has to rendered individually but you don't have to be at the computer to change settings each time.

Mike
JohnnyRoy wrote on 1/11/2005, 2:54 PM
> I probably would already have Ultimate S and Neon if there were examples to look at as opposed to "this is what you can do" scenarios

That’s a good point. Scripts are often written to solve a particular problem and if you don’t know what the problem is, it is difficult to understand why you would need the script. Take SlideShowToMarkers for example: Why on earth would I want pictures to be placed at markers? The original problem was “How do you get a slide show to change pictures in time with the music?”. Someone figured out that you could tap the beat of the music with the ‘M’ key thus dropping markers at each beat to be used to line up the slides. Someone else discovered that a script could be written to automate this process. So SlideShowToMarkers now makes sense in the context of synching pictures to a musical beat. I’m sure there are other uses for it but that was its origin.

I guess us script writers could explain why you might need the scripts a bit better. (although I think Spot did an excellent job on the tutorials for Ultimate S. If you want examples, he gives you lots of them.). You could always download Ultimate S, or Neon, or Tsunami, or Excalibur and give them a test drive to see what they can do. Many of the free scripts have an explanation of what they can be used for. If you can’t figure out a particular script, you can always ask here (like you did).

~jr
winst548 wrote on 1/11/2005, 3:30 PM
i have always wondered what scrips are, and you gents responded very well; thanks
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/11/2005, 3:50 PM
"...and try to do my small part in spreading the word about how great Vegas is, especially to Premiere & Mac users :-)

PREACH IT BROTHA!!!
=)
Dave

BTW, I hope that I haven't come off as a jerk this last week, I think I've been being a little blunt in not the best way lately. Thanks for putting up with me everyone.

Dave