how to add movie clip without resizing?!

jtuffen wrote on 9/6/2005, 1:46 PM
Simple question (with I'm sure an obvious answer): How do I add a clip without it resizing to fill my output frame? i.e. I want to put a 320x240 QT file into a 720x576 PAL video, and have the clip only be 320x240 - not stretched to 720x576!!!

(using Movie studio platinum)

The pan/crop window seems less intuitive than in the last couple of versions of moviestudio...

john..

Comments

ChristerTX wrote on 9/8/2005, 12:08 PM
I suggest that you use some sort of effect like "Picture-in-picture" or something.
Put the clip on the video overlay track and drag and drop the effect on the clip.
I was also puzzled over the pan and crop in Platinum but I figured out. The Key Frame feature is really nice and allow you to decide when in the clip the movement should start and end.

Christer
jtuffen wrote on 9/9/2005, 7:09 AM
I think that I've sorted it now (although I am definitely *not* convinced) - in the event pan/crop dialogue, if I set the window size to 720x576, it appears to keep the clip at its original size...

As I said, I am not convinced about this, and would prefer a 'don't resize this clip' option when adding it to the timeline ;-)

john..
Chienworks wrote on 9/9/2005, 9:17 AM
I seem to recall that ancient versions of the Pan/Crop window had a "stretch to fit" option that could be turned off. I don't see this anymore. However, setting the frame size to equal the project size works well. It's what i do anyway. It's not a whole lot more effort, and you could always save a preset if you want to save some typing.
ChristerTX wrote on 9/9/2005, 2:43 PM
Right click on the clip while in the pan/crop panel and you have the option to resize to fit the project aspect ratio or the image aspect ratio.

This is very helpful when using pictures that have odd shapes.
jtuffen wrote on 9/10/2005, 2:45 PM
"Right click on the clip while in the pan/crop panel and you have the option to resize to fit the project aspect ratio or the image aspect ratio."

... but that's the thing - I don't *want* the clip to be resized! I'm working on a DV project (720x576, PAL widescreen, as I have done many times before) and want to use a 320x240 clip (or whatever) and have it remain at that resolution/scale - so that I can put other stuff on the screen as well. I don't really want the clip to be scaled in any way, since the resampling will probably introduce undesired artefacts...

I kind of want a 'shift+drag' kind of thing (add of a clip to a timeline without resize), since it seems such a simple operation to me :-)