How to keep file segments together on the timeline?

Doovie wrote on 2/5/2023, 2:17 PM

Video cameras and DSLR cameras segment long video recordings into subfiles -- 

When importing a segmented recording into Vegas for editing, I select all the segments, drag them to the timeline, and the files are properly matched end to end.  How do we keep them together as if they are one contiguous file - and so they will not come apart?

Meaning, when I'm editing quickly, sometimes I'll make a lateral movement with my cursor, and in the process I mistakenly shift the segment left or right.  And all my edits get shredded.  CTRL-Z brings the timeline back to how it was, but then I need to go back and check every edit to make sure nothing was messed up in the process -- a huge hit to productivity.

Is the only solution to first assemble the segments on the timeline, save it as a project, and then import that project into a new project for editing & effects?  Most grateful to everyone here...

Comments

jetdv wrote on 2/5/2023, 2:47 PM

Select them all and press "G". that will group them together and they'll all move together.

DMT3 wrote on 2/5/2023, 7:26 PM

Use the DEVICE EXPLORER to import your videos. They will automatically be joined.

Doovie wrote on 2/6/2023, 7:06 AM

Use the DEVICE EXPLORER to import your videos. They will automatically be joined.

The help file page on Device Explorer says you can import files from a camera or from a folder on your computer:

http://vegaspro.helpmax.net/en/the-vegas-window/window-docking-area-and-floating-window-docks/device-explorer-window/

> If you want to use clips from a folder on your computer, right-click the left pane of the Device Explorer window and choose Browse from the shortcut menu.

This does not work.

I cannot select the folder or files within the folder because the OK button that closes the dialogue box stays greyed-out. How do I use Device Explorer to bring in a video files?