How to send "Cue Mix" to studio performers ?

will-3 wrote on 1/21/2009, 3:50 PM
- I own Vegas 5 & have used it for video.
- Now have an audio project
- Acquired two Motu 8Pre external audio input units
- So can now record 16 channels at once
- But the 8Pre's don't have a "Direct Out" for each input
- I wanted this so I could connect each channel to a mixer for studio performers headset mix.
- This way they could hear with effects while I recorded with out effects and could add effects later as desired
- I don't have a board with Direct Out for each channel or I could feed the 8pre's from that.
My Question:
- Does Sony Vegas 5 allow for recording with out effects while sending a special "cue mix" to the studio performers?
- Or, what other solutions are available for this?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

drbam wrote on 1/22/2009, 7:47 AM
You said you wanted analog outputs (Direct Out") for each channel but purchased audio interfaces that don't have this feature? I don't know about Vegas 5's ability to create cue mixes, but if it were me, I'd consider exchanging the Motu units for something that has the features you really need. Most units with 8 analog inputs also have 8 out. Its odd that the Motu doesn't but from looking at the design, they simply didn't have the physical space for them.
will-3 wrote on 1/22/2009, 9:32 AM
Thanks for the note. Probably can't exchange the units as we got them awhile back for another project... that didn't happen... but now we have a new project and have the Motu 8pre units still on the shelf.

We are just looking for a way to feed the performers a mix with effects while we feed Vegas each individual channel with no effects... that way we can add effects as we want to later on in the production phase.

If Vegas will let us do a "Cue Mix" for the performers we can send this out the sound cards audio out to the performers headsets.

Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/22/2009, 2:28 PM
Don't the MOTU units have a 'Cue Mix " applet ?

Also, can't remember about V5, but V8 you can load up the track's plugin chain, which *is* included in the Input Monitor signal sent back.

I've only done this a few times as I use mic pres on a hardware mixer and do my headphone cue-mix from there. Only ever had one artist twee enough to demand anything but a dry signal, and I did that using the forementioned method, because I've flicked my outboard FX long ago !

geoff
pwppch wrote on 1/22/2009, 11:59 PM
Add a Sub bus to your project.

Route this directly the output port on your MOTU you plan on using for the phone mix.

You can create as many CUE mixes as your hardware has outputs or even route multiple CUE busses to the same hardware output - though you had better watch your gains.)

Make sure that all tracks that are sending to the CUE stems have their send set to pre fader. This way you can have a real mix and an independent CUE mix per track.

On all tracks you can then 'send' to this bus. Add FX chains to the sub bus as desired.

In Vegas 8 you can also have sends on busses, so you can do multiple stem mixes and set up multiple CUE mixes as desired.

Peter
Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 1/27/2009, 4:00 AM
Great!

What latency times could one excpect in such a setup? From the mic all around the suggested setup - back to the headphones?

Christian

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

pwppch wrote on 1/28/2009, 10:31 AM
What latency times could one excpect in such a setup? From the mic all around the suggested setup - back to the headphones?

Depends on your audio hardware and its drivers. You need to use ASIO drivers.

Peter