I got HOS Kwikproxy crashing Vegas .. sorry ;-(

Wiew wrote on 12/15/2020, 4:51 PM

First of all; I think wwaag is amazing , it is just something I ran into today

Was playing around with Kwikproxy today

trying to get a good and fast preview in Vegas that does keep up speed after adding fx

First I noticed that Vegas did not accept the proxy made by HOS if was not in the same fps as the clip is  ,

HOS does make the proxy but Vegas does not accept it , the proxy isn't greyed out

The files I tried were already in the Project media 

So I thought maybe if I delete them from the project media

Use Kwikproxy and make a proxy from files that were not in Vegas

I thought If I import them later with the explorer maybe Vegas will accept it

So I tried , I ran Kwikproxy imported a file

I used 25fps instead of the 50fps it was shot.

Kwikproxy did it's thing, but when it was finished Vegas crashed immediately

Here a link to my overexposed clip that I used  ;-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y52ua0jfnyj6kg4/0001%281%29.MP4?dl=0

Comments

wwaag wrote on 12/15/2020, 7:22 PM

Works here. Downloaded your clip and ran KP. Here's the demo.

To help, I'll need to know exactly what KP settings were being used.

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

Wiew wrote on 12/16/2020, 12:23 AM

@wwaag It crashes over here if I change the frame rate

Vegas settings;

Project 3840X2160X32; 50P

Preview 1920X1080X32; 50P

the KP settings;

AVC ; Nvenc

Frame Height 720

Frame Rate 25

Last changed by Wiew on 12/16/2020, 12:32 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Camera's ; Panasonic HC-X1 / Panasonic FZ2000 / DJI mini 3 pro drone

Hardware ; AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / MSI Radeon RX 6750XT / 32GB Ram

Screen ; BenQ 27" 4K

My showreel

rock-c wrote on 12/16/2020, 12:45 AM

Use handbrake to transcode it to smoother video, for example mpeg. And rename this new video to something like "xxxx.mp4.sfvp0" 😄

wwaag wrote on 12/16/2020, 1:15 AM

@Wiew

"It crashes over here if I change the frame rate". That option should probably be disabled completely if you use the Vegas Auto option. In fact, it should probably be eliminated altogether. Having mixed frame rates can lead to all sorts of issues. Moreover, V18 is very "picky" about what files will be considered Proxies with the sfvp0 extension. Earlier versions could use any file format, so long as it had the sfvp0 extension. In testing, I even replaced an mp4 with a jpg file and it still worked OK.

While the AutoVegas option works OK most of the time in V18 (proxy creation using QSV also seems problematic), the most fool-proof way is to create proxies and then use the replacement or swap method.

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

Wiew wrote on 12/16/2020, 1:28 AM

@wwaag I ran into it and I thought it was worth mentioning it.

I used KP same frame rate on 250 clips 50fps

Let it run over night , worked like a charm ;-)

wwaag wrote on 12/16/2020, 11:06 AM

@Wiew

Thanks for the info. It did point a potential problem that users might experience. There are 3 ways to create proxies using HOS, each with their own advantages and potential pitfalls. One in particular is to avoid the use of ProxyAssist, which creates proxies for "events" rather than an entire media file, in multicamera projects. Both make use of Takes which can result in the inability to switch between the proxy and the original.

yassera-s wrote on 12/18/2020, 2:53 AM

Hi @wwaag I tried using KP in new project but it didn't work for me for different reasons. First it requires to drop a folder which contains the video files in the root directory. KP did not search in subfolders which contains most video files. Then I used Vegasaur Batch Media Import which can find all media files in root and subfolders to import all required files in one click. Then I tried to use KP and find that it does not support dragging files from the Project Media so I ended up using the built in vegas proxy command. I hope you can update KP so it support dropping files from Project Media and support finding all files in subfolders not just root folder. Alos good idea to have buttons to add files or folders instead of only dropping cos i did not find the button mentioned in KP as shown in screenshot

ps. why kp requir to save project first? somtimes i just want to try things without saving the project

wwaag wrote on 12/18/2020, 11:24 AM

@yassera-s

Thanks for your input.

1. Search subfolders. Good idea plus an easy one. Will add to next build.

2. Add from Project Media. Already there. Just select the media from the Project Media window and click on the blue frame button as shown.

3. "good idea to have buttons to add files" Already there. Two buttons--one to add folders and the other to add files.

4. KP plus most other tools require that the project be saved. Since most HOS tools involve rendering, one option in all dialogs is to render to the Project folder/subfolder which doesn't exist without the project being saved. Plus there are internal script functions that often require that the project location be known. For testing, I always just save to "Untitled" and then overwrite it the next time.

yassera-s wrote on 12/18/2020, 1:31 PM

@yassera-s

Thanks for your input.

1. Search subfolders. Good idea plus an easy one. Will add to next build.

2. Add from Project Media. Already there. Just select the media from the Project Media window and click on the blue frame button as shown.

3. "good idea to have buttons to add files" Already there. Two buttons--one to add folders and the other to add files.

4. KP plus most other tools require that the project be saved. Since most HOS tools involve rendering, one option in all dialogs is to render to the Project folder/subfolder which doesn't exist without the project being saved. Plus there are internal script functions that often require that the project location be known. For testing, I always just save to "Untitled" and then overwrite it the next time.

@wwaag Many thanks for the information and clearing the confusion. However I overlooked the buttons of importing media (Project Media and Add buttons) because they are located under the Proxy Option which dose not make sense to me. When I saw the Proxy Option i never though it would include adding media files! In my opinion it would make much more sense if those buttons were placed on separate part as demonstrated here for example:

I hope you can update the extension to make it easier and more obvious to find those buttons.

wwaag wrote on 12/18/2020, 3:50 PM

@yassera-s

Thanks for the suggestions. I made a few changes as shown. I really didn't want to change the width of the listbox since it's already pretty narrow.

The search subfolder now works. Plus, if you select the Vegas Auto option, the framerate dropdown list is disabled. If you want to try the new script, it can be downloaded here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v98hky6433tb50q/KwikProxy.dll?dl=0

Download and copy to the following folder. C:\ProgramData\HappyOtterScripts\Magix Vegas Pro\Scripts. Just make sure that windows has not blocked the file which occurs quite frequently with files downloaded from DropBox.

yassera-s wrote on 12/18/2020, 5:19 PM

@yassera-s

Thanks for the suggestions. I made a few changes as shown. I really didn't want to change the width of the listbox since it's already pretty narrow.

The search subfolder now works. Plus, if you select the Vegas Auto option, the framerate dropdown list is disabled. If you want to try the new script, it can be downloaded here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v98hky6433tb50q/KwikProxy.dll?dl=0

Download and copy to the following folder. C:\ProgramData\HappyOtterScripts\Magix Vegas Pro\Scripts. Just make sure that windows has not blocked the file which occurs quite frequently with files downloaded from DropBox.

@wwaag wow man that was super fast update and it looks far better than before. Highly appreciate your dedication and response. So I copied the new file to the folder mentioned above and restarted vegas but it still show the old script! Any idea?

wwaag wrote on 12/18/2020, 6:57 PM

I think I know the problem. It assumes that you are using OtterBar, OtterInfoBar or OtterMenu to launch scripts. If you are using the Vegas script menu folder, you must replace the KwikProxy file in the HappyOtterScripts folder (C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 18.0\Script Menu\Happy Otter Scripts) with the one you just downloaded. If not, it will launch the old version.

yassera-s wrote on 12/18/2020, 7:10 PM

I think I know the problem. It assumes that you are using OtterBar, OtterInfoBar or OtterMenu to launch scripts. If you are using the Vegas script menu folder, you must replace the KwikProxy file in the HappyOtterScripts folder (C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 18.0\Script Menu\Happy Otter Scripts) with the one you just downloaded. If not, it will launch the old version.

I see. Ok will try that tomorrow and let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help.

yassera-s wrote on 12/19/2020, 8:14 AM

@wwaag hi .. I copied the file to the location you mentioned then started vegas and when i run the script i get this error:

when i try to ron kp from OtterMenu nothing happen

yassera-s wrote on 12/19/2020, 8:16 AM

@wwaag maybe it will be better if you update the whole HOS suite and I will just reinstall it.

wwaag wrote on 12/19/2020, 10:28 AM

@yassera-s

Try it from OtterBar. If nothing happens, it's probably best to wait until next build is released.

yassera-s wrote on 12/19/2020, 10:58 AM

@yassera-s

Try it from OtterBar. If nothing happens, it's probably best to wait until next build is released.

@wwaag I tried that and same problem. I reinstalled HOS to bring everything back to as it used to be, but after installing it I got this error:

And now when I run any HOS script vegas crash!

yassera-s wrote on 12/19/2020, 11:04 AM

@wwaag I sent you the log file to private message