I Smell SP2...

Skywatcher wrote on 9/8/2004, 10:54 PM
Hey Everybody,

Hope you Floridians are holding up. My heart goes out to Patrick and family.

I edit a 1 hour television show for charter cable. It's actually our church services. My weekly routeen never changes. Take out last weeks sermon and input this weeks...change titles and scriptures and render. It takes roughly 3 hours to render... like clockwork! After SP2 was installed, I missed this weeks program and my project is still rendering since Monday...some 36 hours later!

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT!!!

Now, before I throw hand grenade bottles of "Blessed Oil" at Microsoft...let me tell you what else changed at the exact same time...

1. SP2 automatically installed itself.

2. SP2 made me turn "on" my system restore. It was off.

3. I installed Norton System Works and Personal Firewall 2003.

Soooo, my $2 million question is...which one is causing a 40 hour render. Going to bed now...look forward to your responses in the morning,

Goodnight guys and gals,

Skywatcher

Comments

farss wrote on 9/9/2004, 12:24 AM
Could it be something quite unrelated, like you bumped the opacity slider? I think not actually, even throwing that into the mix and I'm assuming most of the video has no FXs anyway it's hard to imagine how you can increase the time it takes to copy 50,000 frames.
Simplest suggestion, just try rendering a 1 minute portion and benchmark that then try turning things off. I'd start with System Restore, hard to see how that could blow you out of the water but you never know.

I've been having dramas with Win2K and large drives. It turns out that drives over 137 GB if formatted with EnableBigLBA set cannot share the same IDE port as ones that were formatted without it set or all hell breaks loose. Took me a while to decipher that this is what uSuff were trying to say amidst the jargon on the MSDN KB about LBA 48. In inself not that big a deal ONCE you know what's going on.

Bob.
Skywatcher wrote on 9/9/2004, 12:53 AM
Thought I was going to bed Bob, but I think not. Trying to figure this thing out. Thanks for the reply though.

Now that you mention it, I did do a few 10 second renders that went just fine. I have no special effects in this and am using a 250 GB External Maxtor HD (one touch) firewire. Its totally empty.

I think I hit something by accident...like you suggest. It has another 4 hours to finish so I wont rock the boat til then...

Thanks man.

Skywatcher
Spot|DSE wrote on 9/9/2004, 1:03 AM
Do you have 3D in the project? If so, render the 3D sections out as new tracks, then delete the 3D tracks. Then render the project.
Cheno wrote on 9/9/2004, 6:45 AM
I had SP2 for 2 hours on my machine, hated it. Felt like someone was policing and running my computer for me. I'd suggest uninstalling, keeping the critical updates and going from there. I'll avoid that upgrade like the plague as long as I can.
Skywatcher wrote on 9/9/2004, 9:28 PM
No 3D anything.

It was working fine until I did these three things:

1. SP2 Install
2. Turn on System Restore.
3. Install 2003 Norton System Works and Personal Firewall.

I did notice something though...I rendered the same 1-hour file as AC-3 for DVD and it took 9 minutes as usual. It is the Video Rendering thats taking 40+ hours...

Skywatcher
Flack wrote on 9/9/2004, 10:01 PM
Uninstall Norton and then try it, I bet its that, Norton is very hungry for processes. I took it off my rig for that very reason.

Flack..
Skywatcher wrote on 9/9/2004, 10:10 PM
I just did Flack...will let you know in a few minutes...

Skywatcher
cworld29 wrote on 9/10/2004, 7:13 PM
I had something similar happen to me. I was rendering a project multiple times using different settings. When I went to render it the third time the time estimator jumped up to a whopping 30 hrs! I couldn't believe this. I only had about two hours left till quitting time so I canceled it as I was taking the laptop home that evening.

When I got home I started the render again and it estimated 4 hours. I just scratched my head and let it do it's thing.

After it completes, reboot and try to render the same project again. Maybe it's a bug.
Skywatcher wrote on 9/10/2004, 8:08 PM
I did that already. Right now I am rendering the same project as an mpeg 2 with DVDA template (video only). So far, it has been rendering for 21:07 and it is at 52% complete with another 18:57 to go.

This is perpostorous (did I spell that right??)!!!

Did I do something on accident? I went back and totally uninstalled SP2, Norton System Works and Firewall and I turned off system restore.

I need help guys...PLEASE!!!

Skywatcher
Skywatcher wrote on 9/10/2004, 9:34 PM
THIS IS FUNKY!!!

I'm gonna delete this template and start with a new one...
Skywatcher wrote on 9/13/2004, 12:25 AM
Hey Everybody!

I fixed that 40 hour render problem. It was as simple as a bad VEG file. Man, it was all bugged out! I deleted it and started from scratch. Never had a VEG file sniff "BUG SPRAY" like that before?!

Render time back to normal. Sorry MS and SP2...wasn't your fault! Thanks to all for your help...

Skywatcher
stormstereo wrote on 9/13/2004, 1:30 AM
Damn, bad veggies are uncommon but to be able to sleep at night I always save my veggies to two different names, sometimes in two different locations.

Best/Tommy