Comments

MacMoney wrote on 5/14/2005, 12:00 PM
Solo the tracks you want and File>Bounce to Disk..

Hope this helps, George Ware
drbam wrote on 5/14/2005, 12:14 PM
I believe he was wanting to import tracks *from* Protools into a Vegas session, not Vegas to PT? At least this is the how I read his question.

drbam
krhodes wrote on 5/14/2005, 3:38 PM
That's what he described - in protools, solo the track, then file - bounce to disk - you can bounce as wav or whatever, then drop that file into vegas - do it all the time -

it can take a while, especially if alot of songs & alot of tracks, but it is the only way

UNLESS, you are using a tdm version of protools, then you can export the session as an edl, then load that into vegas
MacMoney wrote on 5/14/2005, 6:01 PM
I had a brain fart earlier and told him how to go from Vegas to PT, then I edit my post.
I didn't know if the system was TDM or LE.
I would love to see a import track data from other apps, like Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools even Acid

George Ware
LarryP wrote on 5/14/2005, 8:07 PM
Great information! I'm assuming he has TDM version of ProTools.

Is AAF a useful interchange format for importing from ProTools?

For either AAF or EDL does the ProTools user still have to specify some sort of PC compatibility mode or is that automatic?

Larry
krhodes wrote on 5/15/2005, 4:50 PM
if you bounce the track - you can specify what type of file you want - vegas will us aaf, wav, pretty much whatever you throw at it (man, gotta love vegas..)

if you export as an edl, you would just take the "raw" format files that protools created (if mac based, prob aaf) and move those over to the vegas machine. Then, when you import the edl it will tell vegas where all those pieces go, in order to re-construct the session -

I hope that makes sense!
tazio wrote on 5/15/2005, 9:07 PM
Or do yourselves a REALLY BIG favour and get a copy of EDL Convert.

http://www.cuibono-soft.com/home.html

Get the PT user to export an OMF and convert it to a Vegas text file. This software is awesome and allows all sorts of conversions.

Phil
krhodes wrote on 5/16/2005, 1:04 AM
Thanks tazio - hadnt seen that before - looks like I got something else to spend a few bucks on...
rraud wrote on 5/16/2005, 2:14 PM
The cuibono-soft works good, though I've only used it to convert OMF files from PTs, Avid & FCP. It also converts files from a bunch of applications: Audition and others.
They have a 30 day demo (not full fuction) The app goes for $250us as I recall.
However it may not may nessesary since V6 has AAF Import/export.
HHaynes wrote on 5/17/2005, 9:02 PM
It really depends on the length of the project and the length of the cue (I'd hate to have to haul around a 90-minute stem for a two-minute piano part at mintues 65-67). I have EDL Convert and love it, but there are lots of times where I interchange AIF or BWV files with my collaborator (Mac/Logic/PT) and FTP the files back and forth to be done with it. [man, is that enough acronyms for you?] For longer/more complex projects, EDL Convert is indispensible.
LarryP wrote on 5/21/2005, 3:54 PM
Many thanks for all the helpful tips.

Great, though quiet, group here.

Larry
JMacSTL wrote on 5/22/2005, 2:34 PM
I've been using AVTransfer for a year, but don't like the fact that it doens't pull in the original cue names from the OMF export out of an Avid system. Cuibono's EDL Convert DOES save the editor's named cues (I find this handy for keeping track of take numbers and music cues). I tried AAF import with Vegas 6 last week, and altho it worked fine, it imported the file names from the Avid (DS) project, which is just gobbledygook and has no relation to the cue names inside the Avid project.

jmm in STL

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

tazio wrote on 5/23/2005, 12:54 AM
IT'S ONLY QUIET BECAUSE BEING AUDIO GUYS WE'VE WORKED AT TOO MANY LOUD GIGS AND WE CAN'T HEAR EACH OTHER SO WE TRY AND KEEP IT QUIET TO AVOID FURTHER DAMAGE TO OUR HEARING. WHAT WAS THAT FARSS????

BRING ME MY HEARING TRUMPET
songsj wrote on 12/22/2005, 1:53 AM
Could I just ask my Pro Tools Engineer to give me a data disc with 24 bit 44.1K mono .wav files and import into Vegas from that.
rraud wrote on 12/22/2005, 12:15 PM
Yes.... But... the tracks may not sync-up if the track-files were editied or comped (For instance multible takes of a 8-bar guitar solo) or the overdubed parts are not the same length.
If all the tracks were recorded at the same time, it would probably be okay, one would then just line up all the tracks to start at 00:00:00;00 on the timeline.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 12/22/2005, 2:10 PM
Wouldn't it be a boon for Vegas to be able to import PT files (and save them) directly ! Then there would be no reason for anybody to use ProTools at all, and give Vegas a HUGE boost.

Maybe a project for one of the scripting jocks ? But nicer still native....

geoff
Geoff_Wood wrote on 2/7/2006, 1:20 AM
OK, finally need to import a PT session. Would like to avoid paying hundreds of dollars for a convert utility (EDL-Convert). Has there been any progress on alternative methods, other than rendering out each PT track as a full-length wav and copying ?

geoff
PipelineAudio wrote on 2/7/2006, 5:26 AM
if you can get the guy to OMF it. Im going through some serious grief trying to work this thing!

I got a 002 and a mbox 2 around here for quick imports. I may be able to omf a pts, we will see...I may have to go heist our HD rig from the rappers
songsj wrote on 2/8/2006, 2:02 AM
I'm watching this thread closely as this may become an issue with me soon, I love to cut my live drum tracks at a studio that is Pro Tools, [ A great kit that is mic'ed up perfect ]. The other studio I use for everything else used to run PT but has run Vegas now for several years. I thought my Vegas engineer said I just had to be sure I got continous files and that they have to be imported into vegas one file at a time. I've done this more than once with no trouble. [ I was not the engineer on either session ], but when done correctly it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. I just took a data disk from the PT studio to the Vegas studio and we were in. If several people are having trouble with this I could call him and ask him exactly how we did it. He's pretty good [ Teaches Pro Tools, Avid, Etc. at a college.] and also has a production company.
PipelineAudio wrote on 2/8/2006, 9:09 AM
If you can get OMF, or are on good terms with the studio, its no issue at all.

My big screwing right now is that these guys lost a mix job to me and will NOT consolidate or OMF
ForumAdmin wrote on 2/8/2006, 5:19 PM
If this version of Protools has the Digitranslator option (most of the modern higher-end rigs do now), have them export as AAF, import that into Vegas (6), works well.

EDL Convert is a very solid option if the PT system doesn't support AAF export. The guys who write it are cool too.

Cheap but free: Export each PT track as a separate file, load all into Vegas across tracks, mix/deliver.
PipelineAudio wrote on 2/10/2006, 11:24 AM
I just stuck a digi 002 in consolidated the tracks and now Im on my way

except:

In order to install PTLE you have to put LOADS of computer destroying junk all over your PC :( My brand new ubermachine got all messed up

newhope wrote on 2/13/2006, 4:24 AM
The one thing to be aware of when importing audio from ProTools is that it splits interleaved stereo into separate mono tracks when it records or stereo is imported. Therefore any OMF audio will contain the two mono tracks that make up the stereo pair.

I have EDL Convert and when I import ProTools sessions or OMFs I find that any stereo material is imported as separate discreet mono tracks. While there are ways of combining the mono back into interleaved stereo, such as the audio tool in EDL Convert or Soundforge, you lose any track posistioning, editing or automation that that refers to the stereo tracks and might have been included in the original OMF or ProTools session when you reinterleave them.

It's the bane of my existence and not a Vegas or EDL Convert fault but a peculiarity of AVID/ProTools and OMF (which AVID created).

No probs though with mono audio.

AAF may be the answer I have a 002R but don't have DigiTranslator so I haven't had the opportunity to try it. My OMFs usually come from TDM systems.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 2/13/2006, 5:14 PM
Does it have the correct logical PAN settings for the split stereo tracks ?

geoff