indeo codec problem...

jtuffen wrote on 11/10/2003, 4:32 AM
Ok, so I'm finally getting to play with Movie Studio after getting back from a business trip, and already have a problem - not necessarily the fault of anyone here, but annoying nonetheless...

I'm running WinXP pro SP1a. Now the sample video files that come with Movie Studio use the 'indeo' codec, which XP (since SP1) doesn't come with. This is a pain, since I'm pretty sure I have some other indeo-files kicking around from other projects. I'm a bit annoyed that SP1a doesn't have this codec (it is only an issue with this version of XP onward) and object to having to spend another $14.99 on a codec pack from Ligos...

Any workarounds?? I have managed to get Quicktime player to play the files, so there must be a codec around somewhere on my machine right??

john..

Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 11/10/2003, 6:25 AM
Do a Google search for "iv5setup" and you’ll see there are lots of sites that carry the original version shipped with Windows 95/98 so you can view the Indeo files on their sites. I have it on my XP Home system and it works fine.

~jr
IanG wrote on 11/10/2003, 6:33 AM
From what I've been able to find, the legacy version should be ok.

Ian G.
jtuffen wrote on 11/10/2003, 8:00 AM
Ok, thanks guys!!

john..
gminnick wrote on 12/4/2003, 10:19 AM
I found a codec at http://www.moviecodec.com/download/codecs.shtml. I used the Indeo 5.11 version.
SonySCS wrote on 12/5/2003, 2:50 PM

Turns out Microsoft has an XP patch. Customer support added Knowledge Base article 919 today.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for the list of fixes -- it's all very helpful!

Suzan