Insert time accross all tracks, keep clips aligned

Osotosail wrote on 2/1/2010, 12:04 PM
I know how to add & remove clips, slide them in time, and change their starting and ending points within the clip.

What I don't see how to do is to "insert" empty time within a project. As an analogy to a book, let's say you want to add a Chapter 2.5 between chapters 2 and 3. With a word processor, it's easy.

With a project that is already underway, a lot of time may have been spent aligning clips and effects within a track, and across a number of tracks.

Is it possible to enter an existing project and at a given point in the timeline, shift all events accross all tracks to the right - keeping things aligned?

The flip side - Is it possible to enter an existing project and at a given point in time, remove a chunk of the time, that is remove all events accross all tracks in the selection, and then shift to the left all of the events after the selection until they line up with the point on the timeline which had been the start of the selection.

Comments

jetdv wrote on 2/1/2010, 12:26 PM
There is also the menu option Insert - Time
mike_in_ky wrote on 2/1/2010, 1:29 PM
"Insert Time" works well, I agree. Just place your time line marker at the point you want to add time, select "Insert"->"Time" then type in the length of time you want added. VMS moves it all over for you.

mike_in_nc
Osotosail wrote on 2/11/2010, 1:49 PM
Perfect!

I was looking for that functionality but couldn't find it in help. I'm going to try searching help again to see what I was doing wrong.

Thanks Mike.
Chienworks wrote on 2/11/2010, 2:45 PM
If you have a track selected then Insert/Time will only affect that track. It's a good idea to do a Ctrl-Shift-A first to make sure everything is deselected. Then it will affect all tracks.