Comments

Pete Siamidis wrote on 6/6/2013, 8:56 PM
Awesome, thanks for the link. I was wondering if Vegas Pro would support Haswell's gpu, looks like for the timeline it runs great. I wish they had also shown encoding speed.
HumbleMovieMaker wrote on 6/7/2013, 11:56 AM
Well Vegas 12 Pro runs on my i5 laptop with HD 4000 just fine, so Haswell should be even better.

Encoding with QuickSync using the Sony AVC/MVC Encoder for internet is quick for me!
T Reynolds wrote on 6/7/2013, 12:18 PM
ANANDTECH - Our final compute benchmark is Sony Vegas Pro 12, an OpenGL and OpenCL video editing and authoring package. Vegas can use GPUs in a few different ways, the primary uses being to accelerate the video effects and compositing process itself, and in the video encoding step. With video encoding being increasingly offloaded to dedicated DSPs these days we’re focusing on the editing and compositing process, rendering to a low CPU overhead format (XDCAM EX). This specific test comes from Sony, and measures how long it takes to render a video.

Iris Pro rounds out our compute comparison with another win. In fact, all of the Intel GPU solutions do a good job here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/17

This shows Intel Haswell Iris Pro renders fastest than these discrete GPUs.

Nvidia GeForce GT 640

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M

AMD Radeon HD 7660D
T Reynolds wrote on 6/7/2013, 1:56 PM
Tom's Hardware.com - Each platform is running on integrated graphics, without interference from a discrete GPU. Let’s start with Sony Vegas Pro 12. Because its graphics component isn’t supported, Intel’s Core i7-2700K sets our baseline with CPU-only results. Stepping up to the -3770K yields moderate gains based on architectural tweaks. But it’s not until we harness HD Graphics 4000 that the workload gets more than 50 seconds hacked out of it. Core i7-4770K furthers those gains with HD Graphics 4600.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-3.html

NormanPCN wrote on 6/7/2013, 2:09 PM
With video encoding being increasingly offloaded to dedicated DSPs these days we’re focusing on the editing and compositing process, rendering to a low CPU overhead format (XDCAM EX)

XDCAM EX low cpu overhead! The mpeg-2 encoder in Vegas is about as slow as they get and is pure CPU. Therefore it will dominate the test time.

To focus on edit+composite (aka playback) you cannot do an encode since encoders are normally quite slow. Also, playback is limited to real time, unlike encode, so you cannot test all out speed.
Pete Siamidis wrote on 6/7/2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the other links guys. Has anyone compared it to an Nvidia 560ti for encoding speed? On my 4.3ghz 2600k gpu encode speeds up the encode time by about 3x with the 560ti. I'm curious because those Haswell encode benchmarks while showing it to be quicker than cpu alone, don't show as massive of a difference as I get with a 560ti although that could be because of my particular settings and filters applied. I'll google around but I'm curious to see Vegas 12 with Iris Pro vs a 560, 570 or 580.