iPod Nano files not recognized by 9.0c

dlion wrote on 11/22/2009, 9:04 AM
got a new iPod nano and went to europe for a week. what a trip, this baby takes great mp4 video in 640x480; great audio too.

imagine my surprise when i tried to play the files in 9.0c on windows 7. at the time, i did not have quicktime installed, but the files played fine in wmp.

i downloaded the latest version of qt (7.6.5). no luck. then i dl 7.6.2. still no luck.

any ideas?

Comments

Zulqar-Cheema wrote on 11/22/2009, 9:38 AM
Try Format Factory (free) will convert most files to most files.
Not sure how good the decoding is though.
dlion wrote on 11/22/2009, 11:04 AM
tried it and it works.

please explain to me why should i have to use an amateur 3rd party converter to play mp4 files from a major company such as apple in my "vegas professional" software?

i emailed sony tech support, they have not yet responded.

and the beat goes on with scs...
rs170a wrote on 11/22/2009, 12:05 PM
Because Apple always has and always will march to the beat of their own drummer and they don't care about "playing nice" with anyone else :-(

Mike
Coursedesign wrote on 11/22/2009, 1:03 PM
There is a lot of truth to that, but that is not relevant in this case.

From Sony's standpoint, iPod owners are a large market (Apple had 73% of the portable media player market, with Sony at 3% and Microsoft at 2%, per research firm NPD Group).

So do you want to be able to recommend Vegas to the many who own Windows PCs and iPod Nanos?

Vegas is a little bit behind in supporting the many new MP4 video formats, it needs to catch up with the rapidly changing market. I wonder if Vegas Movie Studio has this already?

That may make sense to SCS, but there is a trend today for professional productions to use all kinds of cameras.

For now, try the freebie converter rec'd above.

If that doesn't do it, spend $29 on QuickTime Pro (which can also do a lot of other things like extract soundtracks beyond the first two).

dlion wrote on 11/22/2009, 2:23 PM
thanks, course, for your astute comments. the freebee did work, but i don't get a warm fuzzy from it.

i have no prob giving apple another $29, but i must express my OUTRAGE at SCS for their continued lack of response to their customer base. i've been using vegas since 1.0.

the ipod nano with camcorder is a great tool, it's a shame scs won't support whatever flavor of QT apple puts out. penny-wise, pound foolish...
musicvid10 wrote on 11/23/2009, 7:31 AM
Did you try renaming the .mov extension to .mp4?

If that doesn't do the trick, download MediaInfo and post the full details of one of your files here.

Will you upload a sample clip somewhere so we try a couple of things?

There are usually free workarounds available without having to make Sony the villains.
dlion wrote on 11/24/2009, 6:20 AM
orig ext is mp4. tried renaming to mov, no luck. tried Format Factory but it didn't get all the audio (stopped before the end of the vid).

i bought qt pro for $29. did a save as self-contained movie. ended up with a mov file (no other changes made) took less than a second for each file. now vegas sees the files. there's no batch conversion, had to do 86 files by hand.

i have uploaded a file to:

http://wacru.wa-music.com/IMG_0001.mp4

MediaInfo:
General
Complete name : E:\WaWeb\wacru\IMG_0001.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 4.12 MiB
Duration : 12s 817ms
Overall bit rate : 2 699 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-11-12 12:33:15
Tagged date : UTC 2009-11-12 12:33:29

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 12s 813ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 561 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Rotation : 90°
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate : 27.273 fps
Maximum frame rate : 31.579 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.278
Stream size : 3.91 MiB (95%)
Title : recording
Language : English

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 12s 817ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 200 KiB (5%)
Title : recording
Language : English

i'm not a vegas basher, but either a program supports mp4 qt files or it doesn't. i shouldn't need to use a 3rd party utility (free or $) to import a file from an ipod.
deusx wrote on 11/24/2009, 9:01 AM
>>>please explain to me why should i have to use an amateur 3rd party converter to play mp4 files from a major company such as apple in my "vegas professional" software?<<<

iPod nano = toy

Vegas = pro

Why should they be compatible. Apple obviously doesn't care, so why should Sony?
Coursedesign wrote on 11/24/2009, 9:41 AM
One man's toy is another man's crash cam.

One person's crash cam is another news station's only source of footage.

Even in Hollywood they don't use Sony F35s all the time, they use all kinds of small cameras to capture angles from inside something small whether a helicopter cockpit or a safe.

MPEG4 is an international standard, so everyone should care. Even if it wasn't, why give up on supporting something that is growing so fast (including use in some Sony cameras)?
deusx wrote on 11/24/2009, 10:49 AM
>>>MPEG4 is an international standard, so everyone should care.<<<

And I have no problem importing or exporting MP4 files in and out of vegas. Why iPod nano's version of MP4 doesn't work is a question for Apple.
Coursedesign wrote on 11/24/2009, 10:55 AM
And I have no problem importing or exporting MP4 files in and out of vegas. Why iPod nano's version of MP4 doesn't work is a question for Apple.

A little bit of knowledge goes a short way.

There are many variants of MP4.

If you were Avid in 1990, you would just tell everyone, "Make it Avid-compatible or we won't touch it."
That monoculture disappeared when they got real competition, and Avid actually had to make efforts to be compatible with whatever people wanted to use, or they would fall out of consideration.

Vegas is in no position to tell other manufacturers to adapt to SCS' wishes.

Maybe in a few years, but not now.

So SCS will have to keep up with what's happening in MP4, because it will happen with them or without them.
deusx wrote on 11/24/2009, 6:45 PM
Avid still won't open many files, you can't even install Avid on 90% of machines out there because they don't fit their specs. FCP can only be installed on a mac, and it also won't open some file formats, so Vegas is not exactly unique in any way when it comes to this. It's easy to use some converter and then import into Vegas if you really need it, but I don't think Vegas or any semi-serious to serious NLE should be expected to open anything coming out of a toy like iPod nano.
ushere wrote on 11/24/2009, 7:40 PM
frankly i don't understand why any 'pro' editing system should be expected to open any old file format. i'm much prefer my nle to be rock solid with a minimal selection of formats than unstable with a host of rarely used ones.

as for tv stations, they probably have 3rd party software just like any 'pro' to handle other formats.

i've used canopus procoder, avs, etc., to handle client files which weren't recognised by vegas. still do.

get over it, or go elsewhere - as above, try avid, fcp, etc., and see what complaining does.

btw, i have these betamax tapes that wont fit in my m15...... and i have some really, really weird client files (from a jvc bought in japan .mod files) that wont open even in jvc's own software, but play back quite happily on his camera...
musicvid10 wrote on 11/24/2009, 7:55 PM
Speculation aside, there is no earthly reason your file should not open in Vegas Pro (it won't open in 8.0c with QT 7.6 either).

Try submitting it as a bug report to Sony. They are usually pretty good at getting it in the hopper and fixed in a future version. Unfortunately, Sony is usually the party playing catch-up in this situation, since Apple is notoriously bad at revealing its intentions in advance.

It is most likely one of Apple's latest shenanigans (broken files). It is unfortunate that Sony's customers are so often the victims of this, and that Sony is wrongly held responsible by its customers although at no fault of its own. This has happened many times . . .