Is hyperthreading choking Vegas 4?

WT wrote on 5/30/2003, 3:38 PM
Been spending a frustrating afternoon trying to perform some edits in Vegas 4.

I'd be working and sometimes after clicking on the timeline or playback, the computer would totally and utterly lock up. The mouse would freeze, sometimes the Delta 1010 would give off an obnoxious infinite buzz, and I couldn't even ctrl alt delete myself a task manager.

This is one of the first times I've worked with Vegas since I built this P4 2.6C PC. (Intel 875P chipset, 1 gig DDR400 SDRAM)

Any ideas?

On a side-note, these audio files I'm working with are .aif and/or soundesigner 2 (They came off a protools system, don't have extensions, but Vegas seemed to accept them quite readily)

Thanks!
WT

Comments

stakeoutstudios wrote on 5/31/2003, 2:57 AM
it's not a hyperthreading problem because I get this.

I'm running an Althlon XP 2400+ and a delta1010 on an MSI NForce2 motherboard.

I guess it's probably Vegas 4.0C and the Delta 1010 not playing ball as that's all I can see similar between us.
PipelineAudio wrote on 5/31/2003, 4:05 AM
Im getting the infinite lockup buzz on an RME card. I cant narrow down WHEN it happens, but seems I think sometimes to happen when unsoloing, but usually just when I hit stop
Arnar wrote on 5/31/2003, 12:22 PM
So it opens SD2 without the extension???

Thats interesting as its always been a bummer to import this into any program on a PC
WT wrote on 5/31/2003, 10:48 PM
Actually, I had a bunch of files that were extension-less that came off of a Mac protools system. I was told they were in both .aif and SD2. (The same files were exported from the mac in both formats) Half of them opened fine in Vegas, and the other half didn't. I'm thinking that perhaps those are the SD2 files, and the ones that opened were the .aif files. : (

Here's hoping Sofo is able to recreate this oddball error, since one of the things I've always liked about previous versions of Vegas was its great stability.

WT
SonyEPM wrote on 6/1/2003, 8:14 AM
Vegas does not open SD2. Use .aif, or .wav.
JohanAlthoff wrote on 6/1/2003, 8:51 PM
I have a 2.6 Intel P4 Xeon w. M-audio Delta 410, and Vegas 4.0c isn't all that stable to me either, especially not using ASIO drivers. I used to be able to provoke a crash by using my Contour ShuttlePro, scrubbing and clicking around the timeline simultaneously, but since the 4.0c update I just get the occasional crash. Still a bit annoying, though.
PipelineAudio wrote on 6/1/2003, 11:47 PM
my infinite buzz comes in two forms, one where it just keeps buzzing when I hit stop but when I hit play ( or play in a spot with no audio) it goes fine, then comes back when I stop

then theres the nasty one where it either totally locks up and shutsdown the PC or everything goes SLOOOOOOOOOOOW mouse barely moves but if you hit stop and wait a few minutes it might or might not stop

these are with *.wav files
midigod wrote on 6/2/2003, 9:04 AM
I get that infinite buzz and mouse freeze as well sometimes, with my Athlon XP 1800+ and MOTU 2408 MkII. I thought it was just me this whole time! I thought it might be the MOTU card, since I occasionally get a blue screen telling me that there's a problem with the PCI-324 driver. I do get this less often now with 4.0

I'd be very interested to see how many other people get this!
Cold wrote on 6/2/2003, 10:20 AM
I get this buzz as well, normally when my computer has been on for a bit and may have a heat issue. I've allways blamed it on a less than optimal hardware set up - athlon cpu, via chipset, motu 2408. I've been getting it sporadically since later updates of vv3. I'm upgrading this week to a P4 with an intel chipset. I'll see if this helps resolve my issues. BTW, I think the buzz is an internal loss of word clock, only because it "sounds like" bad clock. No real proof.
Steve S
stakeoutstudios wrote on 6/7/2003, 5:09 AM
so it's possible it's a Vegas issue then - we're all using totally different soundcards and systems.

Now and again I just get total freeze, and have to hard-reboot. Sometimes it even corrupts the project, and I have to go to the backup file.

This is happening 2-4 times a day for me.
PipelineAudio wrote on 6/7/2003, 1:20 PM
I caught this one and raised a fit about it in the v4 beta days, but as always, the blame is put on me till MUCH later when everyone else hits the bug.

It doesnt seem to matter if its P4 or athalon, but I have not personally seen it on P3 systems
Cold wrote on 6/7/2003, 1:44 PM
my new system, p4 with an intel chipset seems completely stable for now. Mainly working in vv3 though. I'm going to work in vv4 for most of today, and see if the problems show up. Fingers crossed.
Steve S.
midigod wrote on 6/10/2003, 8:25 AM
I had much more of a problem with this is VV3. It used to happen 15 or 20 times a day, buit now only a couple times a day since upgrading. Same machine.

Please let us all know how the test went.