Is VC-1 WMV9?

Yoyodyne wrote on 9/9/2007, 2:24 PM
A little confused about the VC-1 codec. From what I can understand VC-1 is implemented as WMV9, so they are the same thing....right? I know that VC-1 is listed as the codec for HD DVD and I'm just wondering if I should be encoding (for HD DVD use) to WMV9 or is their some way to encode to VC-1 ...or am I just making this to complicated :)

Thanks for any info -

Comments

Eugenia wrote on 9/9/2007, 2:44 PM
It might be a tiny bit modified, but yeah, it's derived from the WMV9.
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/9/2007, 2:47 PM
No. VC1 can be used inside a wmv container but they arent the same thing. VC1 supports much more features (advanced profile) and actually, WM9 is a subset of th VC1 codec itself.

Thus far, the ONLY app that I have seen that supports VC1 for any encoding (HD DVD or BD) is Sonic Scenarist which is mucho $$$$.
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/9/2007, 2:48 PM
"
It might be a tiny bit modified, but yeah, it's derived from the WMV9"

Other way around. WMV9 is a subset of the VC1 codec. Lemme see if I can find a link to explain what I am talking about.
Yoyodyne wrote on 9/9/2007, 3:03 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I heard Ben Wagoner give his VC-1 talk at NAB last year and now that I'm trying to experiment with HD DVD I figured I would try and figure out if I can encode to VC-1 from Vegas.

I only see WMV9 listed in render choices for Vegas and I am using Windows media player 11...so just wondering if VC-1 is a "high end" option/proprietary render thing.
Jose M. Estrada wrote on 9/9/2007, 3:09 PM
"Other way around. WMV9 is a subset of the VC1 codec. Lemme see if I can find a link to explain what I am talking about. " I think is the other way around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1
Cheesehole wrote on 9/9/2007, 7:03 PM
If you've installed WMV11 or the WM11 SDK you will get VC-1 when you render from Vegas using the WMV9 Advanced Profile.

From the posted link:

Windows Media Encoder 9 Series encodes VC-1 compliant video files, including WVC1 FourCC media. Windows Media Format 11 Runtime or Windows Media Player 11 must be installed on the computer to ensure full VC-1 compliance across all 3 profiles (Simple, Main and Advanced)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1
Sunflux wrote on 10/10/2007, 11:24 PM
I can confirm that if you have WMP11 installed and you select the "Advanced" profile you will get a VC-1 file.

According to VLC, a WMV HD file rendered using the regular profile has:

Codec: WMV3
Codec Name: Windows Media Video 9

...and using the "advanced" profile with all other settings the same you get:

Codec: WVC1
Codec Name: Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile

...But for the original poster, a WMV with VC-1 cannot be used for HD-DVD (as far as I know).
blink3times wrote on 10/11/2007, 7:26 AM
VC-1 on HD DVD has me digging as well... I would love to try it on red laser disk. But from the little that I have learned so far, the VC-1 codec used in HD DVD players has not been release for public use by microsoft/toshiba. However they are considering it in light of the avchd size advantage that BD has since the release of cheap BDMV burning.
Xander wrote on 10/11/2007, 8:00 AM
HD DVD uses the EVO file wrapper. Video codecs can be VC-1, AVC or MPEG2. Audio codec should be a minimum of Dolby Digtial Plus as both it and Dolby Digital are manditory codecs. However, what I have seen from current authoring apps, is that only Dolby Digital is supported, which means they are theroretically, non compliant.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD
blink3times wrote on 10/11/2007, 8:49 AM
Well I don't know if DD5.1 is or is not officially supported, but i do know it works. I do nothing butt DD5.1 and have never had any problems.

Now I should point out that I have the A1 and I have heard a few complaints about DD5.1 skipping in the A2's.... don't know how true that is though... nor do I know if it is simply operator error.
LJA wrote on 10/11/2007, 11:29 AM
I have had no problem with DD5.1 on HD DVD played through an A2. I use it almost daily.