keyboard shortcut for moving from marker to marker

cbrillow wrote on 11/9/2013, 4:20 PM
I've looked in the documentation, but can't seem to find a shortcut for this, and wonder if anybody knows if one exists.

I have a project with a large number of markers, locating individual words in the audio track on the timeline. I'm keyframing based upon the marker positions, and currently selecting the next marker in sequence by clicking on it. It would be more economical if there were a keyboard shortcut that moves the cursor to the next, or previous, timeline marker.

Anybody ever run across something like this? I'm using Vegas Pro12 (Build 714).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

rs170a wrote on 11/9/2013, 4:33 PM
Not sure if it will help but Ctrl + right or left arrow moves the to the next or previous marker.

Mike
Richard Jones wrote on 11/10/2013, 6:40 AM
Ctrl + L or R Arrow I know works from one marker to the next but I seem to remember (I'm not in Vegas at the moment to confirm it) that the 0 to 9 Keys (but not the No. Keys) will work. Hope I'm not misleading you :)

Richard
rs170a wrote on 11/10/2013, 6:48 AM
+1 to Richard. I'd completely forgot about that option!!

Mike
cbrillow wrote on 11/10/2013, 7:03 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions. Ctrl+arrow keys work great!

Didn't have the desired results from Richard's method though, as that seems to move the cursor to specific markers that have a number corresponding to the number key pressed. In a project with 200 or more markers, that's not gonna work the way I need it to.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 11/10/2013, 7:15 AM
This is one of the keys that are programmed into the Shuttle Pro 2 by default. If your editing large projects without a Shuttle Pro you really should check one out. I would never edit without one.

~jr
rs170a wrote on 11/10/2013, 7:19 AM
Chuck, he was referring to the number keys above the QWERTY section. This option comes in very handy if you want to jump to a specific marker. For example, if you're on marker 7 and want to jump to maker 25, enter 25 using the appropriate keys and your cursor immediately jumps there.

Mike
Gary James wrote on 11/10/2013, 8:18 AM
I don't know if this would be any more useful in your workflow, but Timeline Tools has a feature that displays a list of Markers or Regions that shows the Frame Number or Timecode of the Marker, along with it's user assigned name. Simply clicking on an entry in the list, or moving down through the list will move from Marker to Marker in the Vegas Timeline if the Cursor tracks selected item option is checked.

relaxvideo wrote on 11/10/2013, 8:21 AM
"I've looked in the documentation, but can't seem to find a shortcut for this"

It's very easy to find:
Hit F1, click on keyboard shortcuts, and it's the 13th row:
"Move to previous/next marker"

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/131110/405147796Clipboard01_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

#1 Ryzen 5-1600, 16GB DDR4, Nvidia 1660 Super, M2-SSD, Acer freesync monitor

#2 i7-2600, 32GB, Nvidia 1660Ti, SSD for system, M2-SSD for work, 2x4TB hdd, LG 3D monitor +3DTV +3D projectors

Win10 x64, Vegas21 latest

cbrillow wrote on 11/13/2013, 5:42 AM
Once again, thanks to all who have responded with very helpful suggestions.

As it turns out, I can't use the keyboard to move between markers in the exact manner desired, although it does work during other phases of the keyframing I'm doing.

I'm using a mask to highlight words in a story as the audio track pronounces them. The beginning of each word has a marker on the timeline. A rectangular mask is created for the first word, and then the next word in the sentence is selected via marker. A new keyframe is automatically created by moving the mask over the next word in sequence. This is repeated for all the words in the story, however, once the cursor is in the pan/crop/mask window, I lose the ability to move to the next marker using the arrow keys. The marker actually has to be clicked, to move the cursor to the next position.

In some situations, Vegas is very intelligent about shifting focus between various areas on the screen layout just by moving the cursor over them. In this case, it doesn't do what I'd like it to do, but you can't have everything...

As for moving to numbered markers via entering the numbers, that's more trouble than it's worth for what I'm doing. For one thing, the markers in this project are so close together, that their numbers would always be obscured by the next marker, unless the were opened up enough to read the number. Then, in the case of a two-digit marker number, that'd require two keystrokes, on the appropriate digits, versus one mouse click on the appropriate marker. And I have more than 99 markers, so there are a couple of hundred markers without numbers.

Tisso Shark wrote on 1/31/2014, 7:59 PM
Hey Guys,

This is helping me already to move along my projects!

Since this is about keyboard and shortcuts, I thought we can expand on the same thread and maybe some of you may know...

When I hit the enter button it plays at a rate of 1.00. I want to assign a key on my keyboard so when I hit it, it will play at rate 3.00. Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards,
Tisso