Laptop Memory Upgrades

Xander wrote on 7/26/2006, 8:58 PM
Just upgraded my laptop from 512MB to 1GB. Manual says just unscrew two screws on bottom, remove cover and replace existing memory chip. Computer will recognise new memory. Being as it was a 256MB chip in the slot (and I bought 2 X 512MB replacements), I wondered where the second slot was? Search through manual, but no hint apart from mentioning that there are two slots for memory. Look into online only FAQ and it mentions removing keyboard to reveal hidden second memory slot! It says unscrew this, pop out top part of keyboard. Flip over, unscrew the K-screws. Flip back over and un-pop rest of keyboard. Not sure how many people have un-popped laptop keyboards before, but morel of story : laptop memory upgrades not as easy as first appearance may seem. All works well though in the end so guess it is worth it.

Comments

PeterWright wrote on 7/26/2006, 10:34 PM
Well done - sounds a tricky operation. I upgraded my Vaio laptop from 512 (2x256) to 1Gb (2 x 512) and thankfully the two chips were next to each other and quite easily accessible.
Cliff Etzel wrote on 7/28/2006, 8:45 AM
If it is a Dell, the second slot is probably under the keyboard. I had to do an upgrade and searched for the install instructions for my D400 a few months back - nothing like 2GB RAM on this little gem... ;)