Late April for Update?

ScheffFrog wrote on 4/28/2011, 6:56 AM
Just curious on how Sony interprets LATE APRIL. Did they actually mean "At the END of April?" Yeah... that's the ticket.

Okay, I can wait till Monday of next week... or do they post for a Saturday download.

If this is being handled by any of the folks in Japan, is it possible that the nuclear meltdown has caused they clocks to be weird? Nah... they still have the sun and the moon to go by... don't they? Or did those fall out of the sky.

Some say the end of the earth is at hand. That being said, do we even need an update?

Just curious is all.

Ribit. (waiting...)


im.away wrote on 4/28/2011, 7:12 AM
You are forgetting that for some of us it is tomorrow and for others it is yesterday. That means that there may be either one or two days left in April, depending upon where you live in the wonderful world of timezones. Also, one needs to make allowances for daylight saving, or not, depending on where one lives.

Throw a Royal Wedding into the mix (surely Sony will want to be testing the 10d upgrade on a multicam shoot of THE Wedding?) and it's quite possible that "late April" may be 1 minute to midnight, April 30th, somewhere in the world.

Do we need the upgrade? Well yes, if only to test how much bandwidth I have left this month after downloading some bloatware from Adobe last night. Who knows, maybe this upgrade from Sony will tip me over my limit and I'll have to wait until next month to finish downloading it anyway?

jrazz wrote on 4/28/2011, 7:20 PM
I understood from a Sony partner that the update was still at least a week a way if not a little longer.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, just thought I would share.

j razz
Rob Franks wrote on 4/29/2011, 4:24 AM
Obviously they're having issues which is causing the delay. That's just fine by me. I'd rather have a proper update than a rushed one.

It'll come when it's ready.
Rob Franks wrote on 4/29/2011, 4:26 AM
"Do we need the upgrade?"

Just a guess but I believe there are quite a few sitting on the edge of the seat waiting for the MVC editing ability in 10d... the first nle to have it. I know of at least 6 people checking the update site about every 3 minutes.
ScheffFrog wrote on 4/29/2011, 4:34 AM
Tis true Rob... but alas, I have weekly TV commercials that continue to be buggery in V10c. Yesterday, I tried and tried to get a audio glitch out of the mastering every which way I could... finally gave up and rebuilt the file in V9. Worked perfectly the first time out and I made the 10am deadline for posting. I keep using 10c hoping that it will work and on occassion it does. I am still amazed that I still cannot create Red Book CD's or do simple rendering of 30 second files for TV and not run into bugs now and then. And it seems once I have a bug... it stays. I want so badly to get on with this... so my impatience is showing through.

I do commend the folks at Vegas though, as they have personally tried to help me on certain issues and some have been resolved just by doing some tweaking here. But there are issues that beg for a new update.

Another day, weekend... perhaps a week or more as has been said. But I concur, I would rather it be a GOOD UPDATE and not another full of bugs fix.
erikd wrote on 4/29/2011, 4:38 AM
Late April okay...but did they mention what year??? 10c is buggy for me too. I want my 10d as I'm stuck working on a project in 10c that is certainly being finicky.

A. Grandt wrote on 4/29/2011, 5:28 AM
Technically they have till 12 noon (UTC time) Sunday if they want to meet the "end of April" schedule :)
That is when the last timezone on Earth enters May.
dlion wrote on 4/29/2011, 6:30 AM
we will release no wine until its time. not time yet. perhaps early May? as long as it is stable...
earthrisers wrote on 4/29/2011, 10:20 AM
I'm watching for that update, too (but agree that it should be a "proper" one, not hurried if that means "improper").
I just got Boris Red5, and it says it will integrate as a plugin in Vegas10d. Hoping this turns out to be true!
(Until Vegas10d, one has to use Red5 in stand-alone mode.)
A. Grandt wrote on 4/29/2011, 11:47 PM
I would prefer a slight delay over a buggy release, however I would also prefer for software companies to be a bit more open and upfront when it comes to delays, as they realize they are getting them, rather than waiting till the deadline have been reached.

It is not just Sony, just about everybody does this :(

All it would take would be a short notice like
The release will be delayed slightly, as the [engineers/Q&A Testers/Pizza delivery guy/beta testers] have found a [bug/issue/beer keg] which we would like to take care of before releasing the update...
farss wrote on 4/30/2011, 4:56 AM
Come on guys, seriously.
You complain when they don't give you a hint when it's going to be released and then when they give a hint you whine if they're a bit late.
Personally I'll happily wait until April 2012 if that means they get it right. V9.0e is working just fine for me. Sure there's some nice to have features in V10 that I have been after for a long time and there'll be even more, for FREE in V10.d but I've waited 10 years for them so another year is neither here nor there.

Steven Myers wrote on 4/30/2011, 5:21 AM
It's time for yet another person who doesn't read or search ( the forum to start a new thread on this subject.
PixelStuff wrote on 4/30/2011, 8:55 AM
Oh, oh, oh! Let me. <hand raised>