Comments

Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/23/2006, 10:58 AM

With normal care they should last a long time. You take care your gear, it'll take of you!

jyoung50 wrote on 2/23/2006, 11:08 AM
So I guess I would treat it the same way I would any other microphone? Maybe I'm asking a silly question but because of the size this mic seems so fragile.
John_Cline wrote on 2/23/2006, 11:14 AM
The cable is more fragile than the microphone itself.
jyoung50 wrote on 2/23/2006, 11:24 AM
>The cable is more fragile than the microphone itself.

Thanks, that puts things into perspective.
Chienworks wrote on 2/23/2006, 11:36 AM
This is very true. It's easy to tug the cable hard enough to break it. I've replaced the cables on our lav mics dozens of times. Not a fun job at all. The mics themselves all still work fine though. Keep them dry and there's not much that can damage them with normal use.
baysidebas wrote on 2/23/2006, 1:25 PM
I have a couple of Sony lavs that have been in constant service for over 15 years. They've been dropped and stepped on, but they're still ticking...
richard-courtney wrote on 2/23/2006, 1:55 PM
I have had no problem with the mic itself but have
gone through 3 or 4 clips. Order then ahead of time.
They came in a bag of 5.
plasmavideo wrote on 2/23/2006, 2:13 PM
One thing you might run into. If you hit the heads hard against a hard surface they will sometimes lose sensitivity. Something in the element gets damaged that drops the output as much as 6 to 10 db and get "tinny" sounding. I've seen it a number of times on the Sony ECM 55 and 65 series.

Of course, it's usually happened after someone swings the mic around in a circle and bangs it hard on a desktop, "just for fun".

I've found absolutely no way to repair them. At least with that series of mics you can actually open up the head and the body of the preamp/power supply and replace the cable. In some, you cannot replace the cable, as the head is one single molded piece, and you have to replace the head and cable as one piece.

In normal use you won't have any problems. The instances I'm talking about are for mics in constant use throughout the day with multiple newscasts and multiple talent using the same mics. They get a lot of normal wear and tear and some inappropriate handling "just for fun".

farss wrote on 2/23/2006, 6:50 PM
Ditto the clips!

And the wind socks.

Bob.
craftech wrote on 2/24/2006, 6:43 AM
I have abused my Audio Technica lavalier mics quite a bit over the years and none of them ever faltered.

Of course I never did a Roger Daltry with them either.

John