LED video light recommendation

Guy S. wrote on 1/27/2014, 2:18 PM
I have a small flat panel LED light which is (only slightly) better than shooting in the dark and have been looking for an LED light that would produce a better quality of light.

Last week I saw Fiilex lights on B&H and after visiting their website I was impressed. The light I wanted (P360) was not cheap ($700) but was a far better value than comparable lights. Dedolight, for example, was $800 and the power supply ($300) and barn doors ($60) were sold separately.

I found the light at a quasi-local dealer in So Cal and bought it. It's a fresnel-type LED fixture and produces a very even illumination pattern. The light is flicker-free and dimmable, the color temp is continuously variable from tungsten to daylight, and the CRI is 92+ at all color temps.

The light includes barn doors and all Fiilex accessories (diffuser, gel holder, fresnel lens, speed ring) attach magnetically. By design the fixture can accept Profoto accessories (beauty dishes, screens, etc.).

The light output is fair – 90 watts is approximately comparable to a 250 watt incandescent. The build quality is very high and the lights are made in the USA.

Comments

CJB wrote on 1/27/2014, 3:08 PM
I would suggest you look for a fresnel LED light with constant color temp as you get more lux at the same power rating and very likely better spectrum response. There are other non-measurables like color quality and the distribution of light in spot and flood. My $0.02: Rent before you own on that kind of investment.
farss wrote on 1/27/2014, 4:19 PM
90W power consumption, that's going to require one serious amount of battery.
My Comer 1800 draws 10W and runs off my camera battery. Even that can be a bit much for the talent to tolerate.

The only plausible use for a 90W on camera light is for serious ENG as fill in daylight where the talent are used to being blinded by lights. If I shone that light at a bride at a reception I'd be out the door quick smart.

The P360 is a great piece of design but overkill for most here.

Bob.
ushere wrote on 1/27/2014, 5:06 PM
+1 laurence - z96's

i got a couple via bob (farss) a while ago and have now seen the light....
Jerry K wrote on 1/28/2014, 7:19 AM
Aputure Amaran AL-198C Camera Camcorder LED Video Light.

Bought this LED light last year, haven't used it much being most of my shoots do not require on camera lighting. What I like about it is no color temperature filters needed. This light has two knobs. One for color temperature one for dimming. It also runs on 6 AA batteries or Sony NP-F550, NP-FM55H, NP-FH60. It has a built in battery tester for showing how much power you have left. it's somewhat flimsy and could use a better mount but for under $70 it's a great deal.

Product Description
Aputure Amaran LED Video Light is the perfect continuous lighting solution for your HDSLR or video camera. It uses the latest LED technology, giving you great color and warm, soft lighting to enhance your subject matter.
High-quality LED bulbs, long life span up to 50000 hours.
Multiple battery options, 6 * AA battery or 1 * lithium battery.
Filters fasten by 4 screws on front of LCD Panel
16 : 9 widescreen design.
Low power consumption, eco-friendly & power saving.
Lightweight, portable and compact.
Specifications:
Color: Black
LED quantity: 198pcs
Total power: < 10W
Voltage: 5.5-9V
Average life span: >50000h
Center luminous flux (LX): 800
Color temperature: 5600K
Cooling mode: Natural ventilation
Battery: 6 * AA batteries or NP-F550, NP-FM55H, NP-FH60
battery (not included)
Item size: 15 * 9.8 * 5cm
Item weight: 316g
Package size: 17.5 * 16.6 * 6.5cm
Package weight: 559g
Package Contents:
1 * LED Video Light
1 * Soft Filter
1 * Stand for Camera Flashlight
1 * User Manual

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OI5X7C/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry K
Guy S. wrote on 1/28/2014, 1:09 PM
I bought the Calumet-branded Z96 based on recommendations I found here and it's been very handy for camera mounted run and gun work in field situations. I've always appreciated the wisdom - and the willingness to share it - that I've found in this forum.
Arthur.S wrote on 1/29/2014, 10:01 AM
Last year I bought one of these as a back up:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/YONGNUO-YN1410-Video-Light-Lamp-140LED-for-DSLR-Canon-Nikon-Camera-Camcorder-New-/310770615982?pt=UK_Camera_Video_Lights&hash=item485b5f46ae&_uhb=1

A bit bulky, but it's amazed me how good it is! Plus the battery life is fantastic. I'm actually using it in preference to my Sony on-camera lights. Probably the best £25 I've ever spent video wise.

(apologies, that's the second time I've posted that here)
riredale wrote on 1/29/2014, 4:07 PM
Another happy Z96 user here. It's cool that these panels can be ganged together, though I've never done that.

EDIT: Don't panic if you see the earlier link to Z96 and note the $100 shipping charge. It should be $10, I'm sure, but in any event, here's another eBay seller, this time for $75 with shipping included.