Long VEG load times

Andrew B wrote on 11/4/2010, 12:07 AM
Anyone else having this issue with 10a?
My current project takes FOREVER to load! OK, not really forever, but at least 5 minutes!
I notice that Vegas is usng 95% of my RAM when loading the veg file (total of 6GB RAM).
I have a 500GB main drive and about 145GB free.
8-core laptop / Win7 64bit, with nothing else running.
Total project files - approx 64GB.

The file used to load much faster, but now it is really slow after making a few new revisions to the time line.
Also, switching from vegas to another application and back now locks up Vegas for about 30 seconds (not responding), then it is available again.

Any ideas?

Andrew

PS - I just wrote this while waiting for my project to load. I see now that after the load is complete, I have ZERO free RAM available (per Task Manager). HUH?

Comments

Grazie wrote on 11/4/2010, 2:01 AM
Yes. Been there, done that got the T shirt. Reported and still crawling, been this way for me for 3 versions of VP.

I go get coffee, read the forum here. And still see my RAM get eaten up.

If I was a Buddhist I'd be chanting calming prayers and thinking cool thoughts.

Grazie

Steve Mann wrote on 11/4/2010, 7:42 AM
145Gb free on a single 500Gb drive? Slow loading times? Not responding for 30-seconds? Sounds like you're running into limited resources and the O/S is hitting the pagefile pretty hard. If this is the only hard disk in your PC, you are starting out with a serious handicap.
rs170a wrote on 11/4/2010, 9:16 AM
Steve is right.
A second drive is, IMO, mandatory for any serious editing.
Hard drives are so cheap these days, even externals, that there's no reason for not having one for all your project files.

Mike
BigD4077 wrote on 11/4/2010, 2:13 PM
Also, switching from vegas to another application and back now locks up Vegas for about 30 seconds (not responding), then it is available again.

Turn off close-media files when not active application.