Lost Audio Files

Richard Jones wrote on 4/12/2016, 5:30 AM
Having just finished a Project and burnt the DVD I mistakenly deleted my Audio (Commentary) Files which had all been on their own separate Track. When I tried to recover them from the ReCycle Bin I was able to find all but 6 of these 39 files (which I was able to restore to Vegas for re-edit) but, despite using the various Search options I have been unable to find the missing 6..

I'm baffled and would welcome any help/advice. I'm using Vegas 12 Pro on Windows 7 64 bit.

Richard

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/12/2016, 9:41 AM
Were all of them Files (or events). 'Take' files could have been saved in a different folder?
If that's not the case, try a recovery program. I usually turn to [URL="https://www.piriform.com/recuva"]Piriform's Recuva[/URL]
Why did you not back-up the files on another drive or the cloud???
Richard Jones wrote on 4/12/2016, 10:40 AM
Thank you. Yes, each File was an audio Event, being the section of commentary I recorded as a Take that related to the relevant part of the video. I can't find the missing Files anywhere and I've searched the whole of the PC and its hard drives.

And, yes, I can't understand why I didn't make a back up! Before I try a recovery I wonder if I can recover these missing Files from the DVD itself either by capturing it into Vegas or using DVD Shrink?

richard
Eagle Six wrote on 4/12/2016, 11:57 AM
Hi Richard,

Does this help http://www.videohelp.com/guides/how-to-edit-dvd-dvd-vr-dvd-vr-how-to-convert-dvds-back-to-mpg-for-reauthor-or-editing-id638#638

If you still have the VIDEO_TS folder it might be quicker to use a remuxer to extract the audio.

System Specs......
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive

Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 pb2
SVP13, MVP15, MVP16, SMSP13, MVMS15, MVMSP15, MVMSP16

Richard Jones wrote on 4/13/2016, 5:05 AM
That's really helpful, thank you, and I shall certainly have a look at this when I get back to my PC, probably sometime over the weekend.. I'm not sure which sub file within VIDEO_TS will hold the audio and whether I can copy this out. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm still puzzled as to why some of the items sent to the ReCycle Bin should have disappeared completely whilet others sent at the same time and as part of the same batch can be seen and recovered.

Richard
Peter Riding wrote on 4/13/2016, 7:17 AM
I'm still puzzled as to why some of the items sent to the ReCycle Bin should have disappeared completely whilet others sent at the same time and as part of the same batch can be seen and recovered

I've noticed this can depend on where the original files are stored. If I delete from one of the internal drives or an external drive such as a 3tb USB3 Seagate the deleted files go via the recycle bin. But if I delete from a USB flash drive or an SD card in a reader the files disappear directly. Windows 10 64 bit. I'm not sure why and I have not investigated further as it hasn't mattered so far.

Other than that is Windows set up to index for search every possible location or just some locations?

Pete
Richard Jones wrote on 4/13/2016, 8:15 AM
The files were all stored in the same location and windows is set up for a complete search although I've also tried searching in separate locations --- strange, odd, peculiar etc :)

Richard
Richard Jones wrote on 4/17/2016, 6:38 AM
I eventually managed to more or less solve the problem by following Eagle Six's link and the link then given in that page to eventually download DVDLab. With that I was able to extract the ac3 file but, as this will not open n Vegas, I followed some advice given by John Meyer in 2007 and dropped this directly on the main menu of a new DVDA project, I immediately Prepared this project (see the Make DVD button) and then opened a new Vegas project before dropping the VTS_01_0.VOB file (from within the VIDEO_TS folder) on to the Timeline (I'm not sure but I fancy the audio extraction might also be achieved using DVD Decrypter).

I now have a complete sound track from the DVD and will have to copy all the video file from the Timeline of the original project on to this new project ready for rendering BUT I shall not be able to edit just the commentary as this has been muxed with the other sound tracks and cannot be isolated.. It also means that I have little room for for editing the video either because of the need to keep it in synch with the audio! Oh Well!!

One final point concerning DVDLab. The download comes on a 30 day trial basis but when I try to buy a registration no., the relevant pages are shown as being no longer available.. Does this mean that I shall be able to keep and use the programme beyond the trial period?.

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem of where the missing Track Files have gone and why some of these should show in the ReCycle Bin but not others.

Richard
Dexcon wrote on 4/17/2016, 7:36 AM
You've said that the commentary can't be isolated. If the commentary is dominant in the audio mix, Sony's SpectraLayers or iZotope's RX4 or 5 might ... might ... be able to isolate the commentary. Just in case you haven't already considered these programs and excluded them as a possible solution, they may be worth investigating to assist as a workaround in getting the commentary back.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Richard Jones wrote on 4/17/2016, 8:48 AM
Thank you --- but they both offer quite an expensive solution to a single problem, one that I hope I may never face again.

Richard