Lost front centre in 5.1 mix

pcw wrote on 5/5/2004, 1:00 AM
Hi all!

I've just come back to a 5.1 audio mix in Vegas 5, and found that the front centre channel is mute. According to the surround mixer, there's no audio going to it at all.

Anyone seen this before? Or have a quick solution that doesn't involve starting over? I've probably just hit a button somewhere by acciodent, but I have no idea what or where.

All help appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Comments

pwppch wrote on 5/5/2004, 6:02 AM
You have to set the center channel gain from the large track Surround panner.

Peter
pcw wrote on 5/5/2004, 8:20 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I thried that though - had the slider going up and down like a yoyo, but didn't see anything flicker into life on the centre channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Pete
pwppch wrote on 5/5/2004, 5:33 PM
Is the Center channel speaker muted?
What panning model are you using?

Peter
pcw wrote on 5/6/2004, 12:55 AM
I'm looking at the interface - and the help files - but I can't see any mute controls for the individual channels.

So that's very probably it - I just don't know how to fix it.

Thanks again

Pete
pwppch wrote on 5/6/2004, 6:45 AM
On the Surround panner for a track or bus, there are 5 tiny speakers. (Also on the larger, dockable surround panner) If you click a speaker, it toggles the channel on/off.

Peter
pcw wrote on 5/6/2004, 6:53 AM
Thanks again!

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the answer either. :(

Pete
pwppch wrote on 5/6/2004, 7:10 AM
If you could,

Create a simple Vegas project with a single audio track that exposes this problem. Email the veg file to me at

phaller@sonypictures.com

Thanks
Peter

pcw wrote on 5/6/2004, 10:11 AM
Hi!

Unfortunately, the problem is only perculiar to this specific project. All my other mixes (in different projects) are fine.

I've actually just finished remixing the whole thing again from scratch in a new project. It took me all night, but I finally have the soundtrack I want.

Cheers,

Pete
SonyMLogan wrote on 5/6/2004, 9:03 PM
PCW:

There are a number of potential causes for this problem.

Most likely, one of the center levels (either the trim level or the automation level) is set to -inf. Open the panner, and see if the center is -inf. If not, press the automation (gear) button on the track and check the center level again. If that isn't -inf, then it is possible you accidentally muted the center speaker by clicking on the speaker image - this is easily fixed by clicking on the center speker icon.

If not, I screwed up when I last tweaked the surround panner.