"Low on Memory" error with 6.0c

mdopp wrote on 11/11/2005, 11:52 AM
Ok, I finally started to cut this year's vacation - 5 tapes of HDV material.

After my rough cut was finished (app. 90 mins - needs to be shortened of course) I started rendering to get a first impression. Format was MPEG2 in standard definition (for output to DVD).

After about 40 mins into the timeline Vegas 6.0c stopped and told me "The system is low on memory". Tried several times and found out that the stopping point was always the same scene where I used the velocity envelope for the first time.
Ok, my system has "only" 1 GB of memory so I upgraded to 2 GB. Actually I couldn't upgrade the existing memory banks (2 x 512) but had to get fresh ones instead (2 x 1 GB). I killed my graphics card in the process - but that's another story. In the end I payed about 450€ (some $500) for the whole thing.

You can imagine my emotions when I started rendering again only to find out that Vegas 6.0c stopped again - at exactly the same scene with exactly the same error message.
Now I removed the velocity envelope and instead changed the playback rate of the clip. Same result - rendering stopped with the error message saying my memory was too low.

To make a long story short: I uninstalled 6.0c and reinstalled 6.0b.
With this version the rendering worked fine all the way down the timeline everytime I tried. Never saw the error again.

Conclusion: Forget 6.0c...

Hope this helps other frustrated users.
Martin

Comments

JJKizak wrote on 11/11/2005, 12:20 PM
What was the ram preview set to in the options in 6c and 6b?
If you go into the advanced XP options where all the goody stuff is (mouse trails, etc) and remove all the checkmarks it will help.

JJK
ForumAdmin wrote on 11/11/2005, 12:35 PM
We recommend that native HDV source material (MPEG-2) be converted to the Cineform intermediate codec (which is provided with Vegas 6). This conversion will result in a timeline with much better playback performance, a much lower memory footprint, and it should also solve the out of memory issue you describe.
mdopp wrote on 11/11/2005, 10:40 PM
Of course I've converted all HDV material to Cineform's intermediate format (CFHD) before I even started working in Vegas with the clips. I have bought the original Connect HD Software almost one year ago when Vegas 5 was still alive and I've used it ever since.
Sorry - it's not that simple.

BTW, my preview RAM was set very low (something like 128 MB - I've tried other values as well without any luck) and my system's page file was set to 2048 MB. Increasing it to 3072 MB didn't change anything though.
seanfl wrote on 11/12/2005, 2:57 AM
I also had some odd memory problems and crashes with 6.0c, when rendering hdv out. it was a 15 minute project and I'm running 2 gig. Hope they figure it out...

Sean

------------------------------
broadcast voiceovers
ForumAdmin wrote on 11/14/2005, 7:30 AM
Do you have native HDV files in the timeline or in the project media list, or is everything converted to Cineform, no m2T's present?
mdopp wrote on 11/14/2005, 10:54 AM
Everything is converted to Cineform - there are no m2ts on the timeline.
However there are a few pictures (in png format) - but those are inserted after the place where the error pops up.
orljustin wrote on 11/18/2005, 11:26 AM
Any news on this to make it work? I have a one minute bit on a Win2000NT system with 2 gigs of RAM, nothing else running, and it kicks it run in the middle and dies for memory causes.

It is mostly frame animation, and a couple slides. There is nothing tough here...

Thanks.
mdopp wrote on 11/19/2005, 10:37 PM
No solution in 6.0c.
You'll have to uninstall and reinstall 6.0b. Worked fine for me ever since...
Martin