MAC can't see rmvbr

Classactjh wrote on 1/31/2005, 5:44 AM
Hope someone can help! I'm in a real pickle.

I've sent out a video for my company and some MAC users can't see them because they are rmvbr files instead of rm.

I went to save them and it showed rm but after rendering it saved themas rmvbr.

What happened and why can't they see them and others can?

How can I solve this problem so they can see them or do I have to do these vidoes over again?

Thanks,

JH

Comments

ScottW wrote on 1/31/2005, 6:22 AM
Maybe those that can't see the files don't have the latest version of RealPlayer?
Classactjh wrote on 1/31/2005, 7:29 AM
I thought so too....but she said that everything is updated and that they are looking at Safari and Netscape and Firefox browsers and still nothing.
Also has DSL.

I'm really stumped....

Plus, why now is it rendered as rmvb instead of just rm?

Thanks

JH
SonyTSW wrote on 1/31/2005, 10:28 PM
RealMedia .rmvb files are created when you render as Variable Bit Rate (VBR). The .rm files are created for Constant Bit Rate (CBR). RealMedia renames them out from under us during renders with a .rmvb extension if the template is VBR.

The template you used must have been set up for VBR. Since you don't have access to Custom for RealMedia in Movie Studio (via Advanced Render), you won't be able to easily find out which ones are CBR.

I just took a quick look at the RealMedia templates from Vegas 5. It appears to me that only the Default Template is VBR. Any of the others you see from Movie Studio should be CBR, so you ought to be able to use any of them to end up with a .rm file. Choose a template that is close to the bitrate you want, and try rendering just a small loop section of your project and see what you end up with.
Classactjh wrote on 2/1/2005, 7:21 PM
Thanks!

Should this Variable Bit Rate really make a difference on the other end vs. the constant bit rate? Does it change things alot for the viewer?

JH