Magix AVC requires recompress in Vegas DVD Architect

Jep wrote on 4/21/2018, 12:19 PM

I've just got a new PC and upgraded to Vegas Pro 15 and Vegas DVD Architect. Previously I was on Vegas Pro 13 and DVD Architect Pro 6.

My new machine is Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7-7820X CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz, 32 Gigs Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card.

In the main I use Vegas to render AVC files for burning to Blu-ray in DVD Architect. Overall I'm reasonably pleased with the improved performance from my old rig. For example a project of 1 hour 23 minutes that took approximately 1 hour 40 minutes to render with a Sony AVC render template now renders in just 1 hour 5 minutes. A huge improvment by any standards.

You can imagine my joy when I rendered the same project with a Magix AVC NVENC enabled template and it ripped through it in just 25 minutes 28 seconds!!!

Alas, my joy was short lived. When I burned it to Blu-ray Vegas DVD Architect insisted on recompressing the AVC file. So, as the test times below show, if the goal is to make Blu-rays its actually faster to use the slower Sony AVC template.

Magix AVC NVENC Template

Video render 00:25:28

Prepare Bluray Iso 00:58:54

Burn Bluray 00:33:00

Total time 01:57:22

Sony AVC

Video Render 01:05:03

Prepare Bluray Iso 00:12:27

Burn Bluray 00:24:04

Total Time 01:42:14

So, I'm wondering if there is any way to adjust things so that I can use the Magix AVC templates that won't require Vegas DVD Architect to recompress my AVC files? I've got a feeling that the answer will be "No" but I have to ask anyway. As far as I can see the Magix templates are the only ones that support GPU rendering.

Thanks for any input or insights.

Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 4/25/2018, 6:46 AM

I was hoping someone from Magix would comment on this as it isn't what the user expects.

Is it a bug or by design that Magix AVC Blu-ray video streams aren't accepted by DVDA without recompression?

Jep wrote on 4/25/2018, 9:19 PM

I was hoping someone from Magix would comment on this as it isn't what the user expects.

Is it a bug or by design that Magix AVC Blu-ray video streams aren't accepted by DVDA without recompression?

I wrote to Magix technical support on the issue, and the reply I got can only be described as unsatisfactory, mainly consisting of a lesson in the basics of using DVDA - all of which I already knew.

When I wrote the OP in this thread I was very much focused on what my new machine and Vegas Pro 15 could do, and I hadn't really paid much attention to the ouput (in my case the finished Blu-ray discs). I have since had a look at the Blu-ray tests that I did on my standalone player and TV. The results of the Magix AVC NVENC enabled render templates were pretty horrible. Objects moving across the screen were plagued by jittery movement to the point where they were unwatchable. So apart from the recompression issue in DVDA Magix AVC is to be avoided if you're burning to Blu-ray.

I don't think it is so much a "bug". It's just neither Magix nor Sony before them seem to have had any interest in providing a GPU enabled render template for those of us who work with Blu-ray a lot.

ChrisMvideo100 wrote on 6/12/2018, 6:21 PM

I have the exact same problem! Your post is the answer. In my case, I will go back to render as Blu-Ray mpeg-2. Is really fast to render and the quality is pretty good. It won't require to re-compress the video in Architect 7.

Sging2 wrote on 9/5/2018, 2:48 PM

Obviously have not been fixed with recent updates as I just had the same trouble so have had to abandon using Magix AVC after it cost me time with a few re-renders and now gone back to Sony's AVC

karma17 wrote on 9/5/2018, 2:56 PM

FWIW, I did a side-by-side between Sony and Magix AVC and the Sony AVC appeared to look better, holding more detail as far as I could tell, so I ended up staying with Sony AVC even though the Magix AVC renders so much faster.

mintyslippers wrote on 4/22/2019, 3:14 PM

The issue is the max bitrate of the magix codec presets. They default to a max of 40,000,000. Change this to anything less and it won't need a recompress and work as expected.

I have reported it to magix. They either need to make dvda work with high bitrate files or change the presets in Vegas to use a lower bitrate.

mintyslippers wrote on 4/28/2019, 12:04 PM

FFS. Reported the bug/feature to Magix who just send me the instructions on how to render for Blu-Ray as MPEG2. Which, I know and I dont want MPEG 2. I want the shiney new AVC codec with NVENC acceleration. Its not even a major issue, their Vegas software is rendering in a format incompatible with DVDA. They just need to lower the bitrate from 40,000,000 to 39,999,999.

fan-boy wrote on 4/28/2019, 9:37 PM

DVDA shows bit rate spces in it's project properties . 40 Mbps is way out of spec when rendering out of Vegas with the intent to put that video into DVDA . you will get Green check marks in DVDA when video and audio have been properly rendered out of Vegas . i only use Sony AVC\MVC from Vegas Mastering dialogue :

Tools-->burn disc-->burn Blu-ray disc makes compliant Blu-ray .m2ts files , to drop into DVDA .

mintyslippers wrote on 4/30/2019, 2:40 PM

Does it say what is within spec? I want to use avc as it's better compression to quality and mpeg2 is old now.

I lowered to 35mbps and that works fine in dvda but I still feel it's a little high given that the Sony used to output at 15mbps.

mintyslippers wrote on 4/30/2019, 2:47 PM

Just reading up. Looks like 40mbps is the Blu-ray spec absolute max for hd video.