MainConcept Encoder Pro ?

matyst wrote on 2/4/2005, 7:16 AM
I am considering buying a full version of Vegas 5 + DVD 2.0.
Looking through the forums I found a post linking to this page:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=614

which offers an upgrade from a standard to professional version of MPEG Encoder.
The page clearly says that the pro version is not intended for Studio line of products - so is it intended for V5.0 ? Does it mean that the encoder shipped with full version of Vegas does not offer custom controls and changing bitrate ?

Comments

B_JM wrote on 2/4/2005, 7:31 AM
i think that link you posted has nothing to do with Vegas, because the encoder shipped with vegas does all of what the "pro" version decribed ...

i have no idea what that product is for ....
filmy wrote on 2/4/2005, 8:01 AM
Yeah - what B-JM said.

I have never seen or heard of that offer before right now.
Laurence wrote on 2/4/2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe the Pro version lets you access the codec from programs other than Vegas. There are times when I'd love to be able to write mpeg2 files using the MainConcept codec from VirtualDub for instance.
stepfour wrote on 2/4/2005, 4:41 PM
I got an email regarding that MC Pro version, too. It says it has a plugin, for Premiere Pro, of course, that supports Sony HDR-FX1 camera. It also supports painless MPEG editing on Premiere timeline. Nothing for Vegas in that release.
Bob Greaves wrote on 2/4/2005, 5:56 PM
I was under the impression that this purchase would allow the codec to be used by any and all programs that need to encode. The Coedec suppied with Vegas works only in Vegas for encoding.
B_JM wrote on 2/4/2005, 6:27 PM
2ROAD - that plug in your talking about is a completely different product ..

Laurence = there is a mpeg2 encoder plug in for virtualdub , but right now its not that great ..

BobGreaves - no, its not an 'universal ' mpeg2 plug in ..

there are now at least 2 very high quality free mpeg2 encoders (and some not so good ones) , but the MC encoder is very good - perfectly fine for a lot of things ..

this "new" Pro version is indeed for vegas , it DOES have additional settings -- it apparently came out feb 1 as far as i can tell ... and i dont know how you found that link because it doesnt show anywhere unless you do a search for it ..
B_JM wrote on 2/4/2005, 6:32 PM
the "pro" version has macroblock settings .. the vegas version doesnt ..

BUT this pro version doesnt seem to have 2 pass VBR that i can see ... which doesnt make any sense and makes it appear more for another product ...

it also say $99 for this version and upgrade from standard to pro is $70 ... so is the version that comes with vegas a 'standard version' -- so the price really is always 70$

it is certainly confusing ..
Laurence wrote on 2/5/2005, 8:30 PM
What are some mpeg 2 codec options that work with VDub?
SonyTSW wrote on 2/6/2005, 2:14 PM
Our Pro encoder allows you to create custom templates from our applications. Standard allows access to the fixed templates only (no Custom). This encoder is a plug-in and is accessible only from within our applications.

Vegas includes the pro version of the MPEG encoder, it is free (you just have to register for it within Vegas). If you have Vegas+DVDA then just register DVDA and you will have pro MPEG from both apps.

Some of our consumer-oriented applications, such as Vegas Movie Studio 4, are limited to the standard encoder.

Don't confuse this with the MainConcept Pro MPEG encoder, that is a standalone application purchased from MainConcept.