Mask Generator Effect Question

ericd2003 wrote on 1/8/2005, 8:29 PM
Hello, I am trying to create a special effect so that I can have multple me's in the same room at the same. Split Screen? Perhaps,...But the effect that I am trying to create is to allow myself to walk in front or behind the other me without interfering with the other me's.
So far I am only trying two of me on the same acreen overlapping each other.

Track one Is my just stand there in the kitchen on the left side of your screen.

Track two is the other me walking in in from your left accross to the right side of your screen in the kitchen.

Track three is just a video of the backround of the kitchen without anyone.

Now, I make track two the child of track one and on track one I change the compositing mode to Muliply Mask. I then add a Mask Generator to track one as well and I am able to add the ride side of my appear cleary.

Here's the problem, I can't seem to figure out how to add the 1st me on the left hand side as well. I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you,
Eric

Comments

ericd2003 wrote on 1/9/2005, 3:50 PM
?
Peeks wrote on 1/10/2005, 1:45 AM
My take on your problem is to duplicate track one and move it to the left side of your screen using the track motion.

Hope i understood your problem.

Cheers,Ü

-Ana-
Liam_Vegas wrote on 1/10/2005, 1:53 AM
If I got this right... none of this video (of you) is green-screened stuff right? In which case I cannot truly see how Vegas can do this very easiily (unless you get into some pretty detailed bezier masking).
Sullivan wrote on 1/10/2005, 9:06 AM
I am actually working on something similar. I am trying to make an aerobics video in which I play the instructor and two students.

You need a green screen.

Referring to the tracks as you have described them, track one and two need to be captured against the green screen. Then composite them all together with track three at the "bottom" and the Chroma Key plugin on both tracks 1 and 2.

If Track 1 wants to walk in front of Track 2, then Track 1 needs to be on top.
If Track 2 wants to walk in front of Track 1, then Track 2 needs to be on top.
If both need to be in front at different times, then you split your video and in some places put Track 1 on top and in other places Track 2 on top.

You don't need a parent/child relationship between the tracks. Normal 2D compositing will work.
briggs wrote on 1/10/2005, 10:03 AM
You wouldn't have to green screen if you work it so that you don't ever cross over the other "you" as long as the camera is locked down. You would cookie cutter around the "you" (cut away all but) on the top track. Only works for a stationary background.

-Les
ericd2003 wrote on 1/10/2005, 11:01 AM
I have seen this done without using a green screen. I cannot seem to find the tutorial that showed how it was done. I'm not sure if it had to do with the Diffrence tool. I will try to find that tutorial for you all to see.
Thx, Eric
rs170a wrote on 1/10/2005, 12:11 PM
...to do with the Difference tool.

Was it the Two Cats From One clip you were looking for?

Mike
chaboud wrote on 1/10/2005, 1:00 PM
Eric,
If I can scrounge up the time this week, I'll slap together a quick demo project for you and put it somewhere public.

I've also used this to create a Thermoptics look, but I have no idea where that media has run off to.
chaboud wrote on 1/12/2005, 3:42 PM
Now you can go here and find a simple project demonstrating what I think you want to do, along with a couple of videos of the effect.

The project zip is rather large, as it contains all of the required media (as DV), so you may wish to view the renders before trying to download the project.
epirb wrote on 1/12/2005, 7:29 PM
Pretty cool SonyChaboud !
thermoptics? hmmm wazzat? I wanna know.
By the way is that the Vegas "Grande" edition in the shot?
Grazie wrote on 1/12/2005, 9:07 PM
Thanks Chaboud - just what I've been looking for. Downloaded. CD-ed waiting for my attention when my present project is gone!

Your time is much appreciated

Grazie
chaboud wrote on 1/13/2005, 7:16 PM
Grazie:
No problem. We live to serve (to a point).

epirb:
Thermotics is one theoretical (very theoretical) approach to optical camouflage. As far as the box is concerned, that's the version of Vegas that comes on LaserDisc.

I'm kidding, of course. We use those boxes for trade-shows.