Comments

johnmeyer wrote on 3/4/2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the link to that tutorial. I hadn't seen that, and it is useful.

As for something better, you might head over to the VASST site. They have lots of tutorials and VEG projects. Here's a listing of some of the material I found there:

Resources with 'mask'
ReneH wrote on 3/4/2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks! I should have looked there for more info, just forgot.
Rosebud wrote on 3/4/2007, 1:00 PM
In addition, if you are looking for bezier mask tutorial, I made this one.
Sorry, the voice over is only in French.
ReneH wrote on 3/4/2007, 1:34 PM
Nice tutorial, Rosebud. Thanks you.
bStro wrote on 3/4/2007, 6:19 PM
Can someone help me with a more simplistic step-by-step explanation?

1. Insert three video tracks.
2. On Track 3, add the media you want to use as the background.
3. On Track 2, add the media you want to appear "inside" the text.
4. On Track 1, add a text event (Media Generators tab, Text).

(To be frank, for what this tutorial actually accomplishes, you could use a text event with white text and a transparent background -- this would also allow you to skip step #7 below. But, just to mirror the Sony tutorial, use a text event with white text and a black background.)

5. On the track header for Track #2, there is an arrow pointing down. Click that. This makes Track #2 a child of Track #1.

6. On the track header for Track #1, there is a green icon -- it looks like a film strip with another box in front of it (the one in front has an "a" on it). Click that and choose Multiply (Mask). This changes how Track #1 is composited with the rest of the tracks.

7. Drop the Mask Generator FX (from Video FX tab) onto Track #1. (Use the Luminance Mask one.)

That's about it. If you want to add a shadow to the text like in the Sony tutorial, click the Parent Motion button for Track #1 -- it's way on the left of the track header -- and check the 2D Shadow box at the bottom of the Parent Motion dialog box.

Rob
ReneH wrote on 3/5/2007, 5:46 PM
bStro,

Thank you kindly for putting the tutorial into much simpler terms...I will be sure to give it a try very soon.