master bus clipping?

swingfingers wrote on 12/11/2010, 1:38 PM
My louder mixes are occasionally clipping the CD arch 5.2 master buss around +1 or +.9. However it never clipped the master buss in Sonar or my sound card outputs before I exported the mixes. Also, the same mix that clips occasionally in CD Arch does not clip in Sound Fordge. Any ideas as to way CD arch. master buss is clipping when the same mix played in other software doesn't clip? The master buss fader in all programs are set to 0.0 and there are no plug-ins on the master buss except in Sonar I have the UAD Limiter on the master buss which is preventing the master buss in Sonar from clipping. Thanks in advance.

Comments

Steven Myers wrote on 12/11/2010, 5:01 PM
What does the waveform look like in the spots where the meters are telling you there's clipping?
Geoff_Wood wrote on 12/13/2010, 1:36 PM
What spec are the media files ? If other than 44k1/16 then the on-the-fly conversion may be introducing artifacts, if the peaks are already really 'hot'....

What is the peak level of the imported files ? Peaks not exceeding -0.5dB is a good idea at the best of times. Allthat peaks higher than that acheive is to excite nasty crap out of some CD Player DACs.

geoff