Match output aspect for all events at once

TorS wrote on 6/9/2005, 5:46 AM
I have tried to copy event attibutes from the first jpg to all events to end. That does something to them, but they don't automatically fill the frame of the preview. Setting the output aspect one by one does.
I know some of you people create photomontages all the time, so how do you set match output aspect on a bunch at once?
Tor
Edit:
It looks like the aspect relation between the first jpg and the output is repeated for all the other jpgs when I paste the event attributes. What a silly thing to do.

Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 6/9/2005, 6:41 AM
There are several methods of accomplishing this.
1. Set the aspect on the first image, then copy that image.
2. Select Events to end, right click the Second image, and choose Paste Event attributes. This will correctly set up all images to match the first.

Next, you can use a free script. You'll find them at:
http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=aspect

VASST's Ultimate S, Edward Troxel's Excalibur, and VASST Still Motion can all do this along with automatic panning, etc. as well, but they're not free.
TorS wrote on 6/9/2005, 7:03 AM
The first method is what I have tried. It does not give me what I get when I set match output aspect for each jpg. I know it shold have; I have seen this advise elsewhere - but it does not. The aspect changes, but the result does not show in the preview window like it does when I set it one by one.
Scripts I have not tried.
Tor
Marco. wrote on 6/9/2005, 8:02 AM
Also there are some free scripts out which should do that job. Take a look into the script collection at www.calderwood.org - there is a script called "MatchAspect". You might try this one.

Marco
jetdv wrote on 6/9/2005, 8:06 AM
Spot gave the link for a FREE script to do this.

The same script is also available at: http://www.ayizwe.net/VegasScripts/

One suggestion: The name of the file is "matchaspect.js". I recommend renaming the file to "Matchaspect.js" (first letter capital) as mixing upper/lower case on the first letter has caused problems in the past.

2nd note: The file name you download from this link ends with ".txt" - this must be removed.
Marco. wrote on 6/9/2005, 8:46 AM
Oversaw Spot already gave a similar link, sorry.

Marco
TorS wrote on 6/9/2005, 9:43 AM
I'm going to go the script route (thanks for the links), but for the record I wish someone would explain how and if and why not the paste event attributes works in this case, i.e. when the pan/crop contains nothing but match output aspect.
Tor
jetdv wrote on 6/9/2005, 11:22 AM
It would not work in this case if your images were all different sizes requiring different results to the settings for the "Match Output Aspect". You simply copied the same settings used by the first image to all the rest of the images instead of each image being set to proper values for that particular image.

If all the images were the same (i.e. all snapshots from the same digital camera, for instance) then it would have worked as the same settings would be needed for all images.
Spot|DSE wrote on 6/9/2005, 11:27 AM
To add to that, if you have a horizontal image shot from the same cam, it won't correctly match either. This is why the scripts are so terrific, they look at each event differently
johnmeyer wrote on 6/9/2005, 11:45 AM
I use the MatchAspect.js script almost every day. Definitely the way to go.
TorS wrote on 6/9/2005, 12:43 PM
Done it now. The Matchaspect.js did a very good job. Still, match output aspect would'nt have been wasted as an option to select when you import stills (or even video). It would have been permanently on here.
Thanks to everyone.
Tor