midi to audio setup

joejon wrote on 3/19/2015, 6:09 PM
My son just bought Kontak 5 instrument software to get more instrument sounds than our keyboard has. It doesn't have any direct recording capabilities so we are trying to figure out how to use Vegas Pro 13 for the recording. He has the keyboard or the electric drumset connected to a M-Track Plus USB interface via MIDI connections, then USB out to USB in to the computer. Does anyone have any idea how he would use Vegas to record from the Kontak program using the Kontakt instrument plug-ins? This whole thing is so confusing.


Geoff_Wood wrote on 3/19/2015, 10:06 PM
You need an audio loopback driver like Virtual Audio Cable, if you audio interface doesn't have a "Record What You Hear" button.

musicvid10 wrote on 3/22/2015, 11:09 AM
Google is your friend.
A number of programs (Cubase, Protools, Logic) open the VSTs and will export WAV.
Loopback recording is not as good because it uses analog interface.
gagman wrote on 10/16/2015, 12:30 AM
That sounds more like haiku than instructional. Can u b more specific? And would you be? Or are you saying look it up on google and don't ask questions on the forum. Clearly ur a genius unlike most of us...
pwppch wrote on 10/16/2015, 12:51 AM
Geoff explained the best approach.

There are drivers you can get that will let you record the output of the Kontakt in stand alone mode into Vegas. Here is one such solution:


The other option is if you sound card has a output to input routing done internally. It is sometimes called "record what you hear" on some devices.

The downside of these solutions is that you have to share or use two audio devices to achieve what you want. It also can have very high latencies, which would be difficult to record with.

The other option is to connect your Kontakt audio device output into the input of a secondary device. If there these two devices have a digital output and input that would be the best, but analog output to input would work as well. It would be like pluging the output of a keyboard (or guitar amp, microphone into your recording device.