Mildly OT - Music from iPhone to PC?

PeterWright wrote on 11/1/2015, 9:18 PM
I have a client who has music they've purchased on their iPhone, which they need for a forthcoming Dance concert (for which they pay all appropriate APRA etc fees for copyright).

A Google search brings up a few pieces of Software which purport to do this, but I'm not sure whether they're legit or dodgy.

Has anyone had to deal with this situation and found a good solution?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

farss wrote on 11/2/2015, 1:57 AM
Assuming the music got onto their iPhone by them buying it from Apple then use iTunes to burn it to a CD and then use Vegas to rip the CD.

Bob.
PeterWright wrote on 11/2/2015, 2:25 AM
Thanks Bob - Yes, they purchased from Apple.

Presumably that would mean me installing iTunes - then I'd still have to transfer the files from their iPhone to my PC ?
OldSmoke wrote on 11/2/2015, 5:35 AM
If you want/have to do it, you would need the iPhone users iTunes account credentials. It's better to have the iPhone user do it and pass you a CD.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Chienworks wrote on 11/2/2015, 6:35 AM
With iTunes on the PC they'd simply re-download to the PC, then burn the CD.

Alternatively, they could connect the iPhone's headphone jack to the hall's PA system and play directly from the phone. I know a LOT of dance teachers and directors who do that.
PeterWright wrote on 11/2/2015, 7:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Client has an iPhone with this music, not a computer, so they do not know how to make a CD!

They have asked me to do this. Connecting an iPhone to the PA would not cut it, Kelly - these are just part of a whole program of performances for which I need to produce a single CD for the whole show, with the required music in the correct order.

I'll probably try one of the bought pieces of software - I found one called Lenogo, $20 or so, which says it can transfer music from iPhone to PC.

TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/2/2015, 8:07 AM
You need itunes & the account info, but there's a program on my Win 10 machine I did that with to get the songs off my son's ipod so we wouldn't have to assemble them all together again when I reformatted. It was free. I'll find the name later & post it.
MSmart wrote on 11/2/2015, 9:24 AM
CopyTrans is another option for $20.

I've used the CopyTrans Apps application to transfer apps between iPhones.
astar wrote on 11/2/2015, 11:37 AM
The music file exists on the HDD of the device the iPhone is synced to. You could just grab the file from there and convert it to PCM. You could use something like TeamViewer to access the client machine remotely for assistance.

Since is just one song, you could go the analog route, and use Vegas or Audacity to just record the song from the phone via an 1/8" to 1/8" headphone cable.
Stringer wrote on 11/2/2015, 12:45 PM
@ astar:

From above:

" The Client has an iPhone with this music, not a computer, so they do not know how to make a CD! "
farss wrote on 11/2/2015, 12:45 PM
As others have said all you need is this person's iTunes credentials. Then running iTunes on one of your computers you log into their account and use iTunes to burn a CD. It's not all that obvious how you burn a playlist to a CD in iTunes I'll admit, every time I've done it I've had to reference online help but I've managed to make it happen many times over that past few years.

Bob.
MSmart wrote on 11/2/2015, 9:15 PM
From the CopyTrans Manual Backup info page:

CopyTrans allows you to transfer individual iPhone songs or videos to your PC, an external drive or directly to iTunes. Just select the songs, videos or playlists to transfer, choose a destination and click “Start Backup”. It’s as easy as pie!

iTunes credentials is not needed.

I'm sure it's probably the same with the app Peter found.

Now a days, a PC/Mac isn't needed to sync music/videos. The iTunes Store app on the i[whatever] is used to download music/video directly to the device.

I used to download my podcasts to the PC then sync using iTunes. Not anymore, I download it directly to my iPad or iPhone.
PeterWright wrote on 11/2/2015, 9:56 PM
Thanks a lot guys - lots of choices for when the client comes over next week.

Cheers

Peter
deusx wrote on 11/3/2015, 2:54 AM
The old school way. Just plug the output into any recorder and record in real time, then you can do whatever you want with it.
PeterWright wrote on 11/3/2015, 4:26 AM
Yes deusx that would be my fall back position, but that would mean real time recording and there are maybe seven or eight pieces, so transferring digitally will hopefully save time.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 11/3/2015, 6:22 AM
Syncios. Just installed & used on the family computer to get my son's songs off his ipod to the PC so we can sync new music to his ipod.