Minimum Cliplength

AlexB wrote on 4/27/2003, 7:15 PM
Could SoFo please disable the Minimum Cliplength option in standard settings of preferences? It's a real nuisance, because since the beginning of VV3.0 it keeps people , at least in Europe with PAL Video, from capturing successfully. And almost every review of Vegas reads: wasn't able to capture, could not figure out why. We're answering the same silly question again and again. Please alter that in Vegas 4.0c!

Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 4/27/2003, 11:02 PM
I'd much rather see this fixed rather than disabled. I use minimum clip length for every session. Keeping this set at 10 seconds eliminates the "oops" factor in short clips. Not that I disbelieve you, but I've captured several hours of PAL with the 10 seconds enabled, no issue. Is it a specific camera that has issues?
taliesin wrote on 4/28/2003, 10:21 AM
SPOT, I can state what Alex reported. Almost any Vegas beginner stumbles exactly there. This is the "most wanted" of all the questions I ever answered to beginners who had problems with capturing.
The factory setting of minimum clip length prevents from capturing anything if not using the advanced capture mode. Actually Vegas captures then but after capturing nothing is in there. Everything deleted again. A message like "no clips captured" appears.

How can it be it does not keep files if minimum clip length is set to 1 second (I think that's what it is in the factory setting) even if each clip lenth actually is longer than one second. To me it's a bug.

Maybe it even works with "10 seconds" enabled. But what if your clips lengthes are shorter than 10 seconds. And why doesn't it work with "1 seconds".

To me only reasonable setting is to disable this checkbox by default.

Marco
Grazie wrote on 4/28/2003, 11:00 AM
Sooo... does this mean that I have to have min set to 1 sec or not? I'm confused. I did have trouble with Capture this morning, went back to VF which doesn't have this facility - I think! - and it worked. I too got "No Clips Captured" - this was after the tape 35 mins - had completed. Hmmm.... any solutions please?

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 4/28/2003, 11:30 AM
We get these questions with any type of PAL DV Camera (amateur ones, Sonies, Pannys, Canons...). The Standard setting of 1 secs enabled ends in the "No Clips Captured" message. We usually advise to disable that, which is an instant remedy. Maybe it works ok with higher settings (never tried that). So our obvious choice would be "disabled" to begin with. Grazie, try that: remove hook at Minimum clip length.
Spot, I'd rather have you, an expert, set your desired minimum cliplength to your needs, than have every fresh beginner stumble over the same step. ;-))
A.
Grazie wrote on 4/29/2003, 12:54 AM
Alex, thanks.

What does " . .remove hook at Minimum clip length. . .. " mean? When you say "disable" do you mean - "Unchecked" - yeah? Do I leave it unchecked WITH a 1 second amount greyed-out? You see my problem? ;-))

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 4/29/2003, 6:09 AM
Ok, forgive me, I'm Austrian, so my English might be a bit weird. IMO, if you uncheck it, the figure in the seconds field doesn't matter. At least that's how it works for me. Did you try it in the meantime - either way? (Takes you about five minutes to try every possible combination of check and figure 1 with a short clip to read in basic capture).

A.
AlexB wrote on 5/1/2003, 9:54 AM
Grazie, waiting for your answer: any success capturing with Vegas Capture, with or without minimum cliplength?
A.
Grazie wrote on 5/1/2003, 3:42 PM
Sorry Alex - Been busy helping my father with his move of house - yeah.

I'm going to have a go on the morrow. So see youse then.

Grazie
WolfgangJ wrote on 5/1/2003, 4:19 PM
Vegas support advises people capturing PAL clips to disabel this function otherwise
Vidcap dismisses all captured clips.

Minimum cliplength should be disabled by default. It looks like the developers don't care. This was a problem with Vegas 3. already.
Grazie wrote on 5/2/2003, 10:19 AM
Alex - Minimum Clip Length DIS-abled, greyed-out - Worked like a dream! Sailed through the capture. Did straight capture and "Scene Detect". Both worked without a hitch.

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 5/2/2003, 12:06 PM
Grazie - That is what we like to hear.
So for PAL it would be certainly better if SoFo would switch standard settings to disabled. Or, if not, they should mention it in BIG LETTERS in the Readme file.
There are a lot of new users over here in Europe, and many try it out, allthough the English-only interface is a bit of a handicap.
Still, I just can't see how SPOT had Capture working with minimum cliplength enabled with PAL video and set to 10 s?
Alex
Grazie wrote on 5/2/2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah, right . . . Now all I've gotta do is get my head round "Advanced Capture" - or should I bother? Can I automatically send clips to pre-arragned bins OR can I make the Bins up on the fly? . . .hmmmmm

Grazie
jetdv wrote on 5/2/2003, 1:28 PM
Grazie,

Read newsletter #5. Tells all about advanced (batch) capturing.

www.jetdv.com/tts
Grazie wrote on 5/2/2003, 1:49 PM
Thanks Ed! - Got it 2 days ago. Put off the reading thing. You've nudged me along - cheers. Just read it AND I'VE GOT THE MANUAL! - Nice one Ed.

Don't appear to be a place where I can send Captured bit 'n Pieces to Bins of my chosen - is that correct?

Grazie
jetdv wrote on 5/2/2003, 2:10 PM
The capture location is set up in Options - Preferences on the Disk Management tab. I always capture to the same location and then move the clips if needed.

In Vegas, I use the explorer view instead of bins. I just feel more organized there as I can place clips in subdirectories to sort them.

I believe you can create new bins in the "Clip Explorer" window at the bottom of the capture screen. Try creating the bins there and then placing the batch captured clips into the appropriate bin. They ought to transfer correctly to Vegas. (but I've never done it)
Grazie wrote on 5/2/2003, 4:21 PM
Ah yes! - I'll give it a go. I know I've tried to copy backwards and forwards betwixed and between Bins - no go!

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 5/3/2003, 10:21 AM
Hi Grazie!
You simply go to "All Media", take Clips, Pictures, wavs from there and pull them into the respective bins. They still stay in "All Media", but links to them appear in the divers bins to keep them organized.
:D A.