Mixing Console Not showing correct levels

PeterWright wrote on 10/24/2015, 2:31 AM
I'm trying to mix six tracks of audio. Vegas Pro 13 build 453)

As I hope you can see in this screen shot: (can't get embedding to work, but it's there on Dropbox):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwxugkv97e8uubp/Mixing%20Console.jpg?dl=0

There is plenty of level in most tracks, as evidenced by the mini-bars in the Track Headers, but the Mixing console hardly shows any of this.

I assume I've inadvertently changed a setting somewhere, but it's got me beat - any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

PeterWright wrote on 10/24/2015, 3:01 AM
A further clue - the same project, opened in the same build of Vegas on a different PC, the Mixing Console is doing it correctly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipx1q173wvl1e3f/Mixing%20Console%20II.jpg?dl=0

So there's something different with the other PC's installation of Vegas - but what?
(I have uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas on that PC - no difference)
PeterWright wrote on 10/24/2015, 4:26 AM
Ok, still not sure what I'm doing, but it seems related to how I've been using volume envelopes on the various tracks. I've brought up the levels on all and reduced the total using master bus and they now seem to be more visible.

Still don't understand how the Mixing Console was ok on the other PC though.

The levels in the Mini Bars in Track Headers must be pre - fader - not affected by envelopes .... on I travel .....
paul_w wrote on 10/24/2015, 7:28 AM
Hi, it looks like the scaling of your meters are different from mixer to track headers. You are only seeing the very peaks in the mixer meters because the scale it set 0 to -9 db. Try selecting a higher range, like 0 to 80.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 10/24/2015, 8:00 AM
> "it looks like the scaling of your meters are different from mixer to track headers."

BINGO!

Your meters your first picture have their scale set to -12 to 0 dB so you are only seeing the loudest signals between -12dB and 0dB. As Paul suggested, right-click the meters and select -90 to 0 dB (which is what the other images shows them set to) and they will match.

~jr
PeterWright wrote on 10/24/2015, 9:02 PM
Thanks so much Paul and Johnny - I've learnt something new about Vegas!

- the Forum that keeps on giving ....