modelling my voice

mfoxhop wrote on 2/13/2010, 1:56 PM
Hi, I would appreciate any advice on how to chance my voice using Vegas Pro for voiceovers.

I know how to change pitch, reverb but this seems not enough.

There are free softwares for changing voices for fun but I believe I don´t need to bring strange stuff into my pc as I may have it all in my Vegas Pro. Just need a clue where to start from in the Universe of options there.

I was not not clear on what I wanted in my last post on this, I apologize for that. This is for e-learning and audio-book projects. Thanks for any help.

Comments

Steven Myers wrote on 2/14/2010, 1:00 AM
As I think I mentioned in your last thread, you need to read about formants. Formants have a lot to do with how any individual person's voice sounds. They are a huge factor in the differences between male and female voices.

Sometimes there is software that attempts (with varying degrees of success) to deal with this factor. I have an old one that sometimes works acceptably well when the voice is mixed in a group of other voices. But for a solo voice, definitely not.

Vegas does not deal with formants at all. Sound Forge doesn't either. Sorry, if you want a a natural-sounding male voice, it probably isn't going to happen. Not in this lifetime, anyway.
SonyMLogan wrote on 2/15/2010, 7:35 AM
Vegas 9.0c includes élastique pitch/formant adjustment technology.

If you have 9.0c (or later) you should be able to right-click on an event and open the audio properties dialog. Once there, select "élastique" as the method, "pro" as the stretch attributes setting, then click the "preserve formants" checkbox, and enter in a formant shift amount.

= Matt
Steven Myers wrote on 2/15/2010, 8:10 AM
Wow, thanks, Matt. I've tried elastique for other purposes and have been impressed. Didn't even notice the formants ability. Duh.
mfoxhop wrote on 2/15/2010, 8:34 AM
Thank you for answering me. I can see my last thread last year is still with "0" replies. There is another one with similar title "How to sound like a woman" probably posted by a man. Thanks again, :-)
mfoxhop wrote on 2/15/2010, 9:13 AM
Thanks a lot. I just upgraded with your reply. That´s great!...