"Motion trails" effect? Possible?!

jtuffen wrote on 2/7/2006, 2:32 PM
I'd like to generate the following effect, preferably in VMS-PE, but I also have VirtualDub and AviSynth, so a solution with those would be good as well...

Ok, so we've all seen long-exposure still photographs, where (for example) car tail lights streak into the distance... I'd like to do a similar thing with moving images - i.e. if I have some footage of a road with a car driving away from me, then I'd like the lights to persist for some time (maybe a second, maybe a minute).

Oh yes, I know that the resulting image won't be exactly like a long-exposure photo - it'll be made up of a number of discrete shots - that's Ok :)

If my description isn't clear, then I'll be happy to explain further!

john..

Comments

Shaz wrote on 2/9/2006, 5:41 PM
There's probably an easier way to do that, but what I did for something trail-like - see from 0:27 to 0:33 of this video - was to copy the same footage a few times and just move the copies slightly later on the timeline, then render them together again.
dibbkd wrote on 2/9/2006, 9:11 PM
Shaz, one way to make the effect you did a little bit easier is to copy the segment you want to blur on a couple video tracks, then on the Properties, change the speed a little faster and a little slower on them.

And change the opacity like you said too.

As far as the OP, I don't think this is exactly what he's looking for, but I can't think of a solution any better...