Multiple CDs from one large audio event?

cbrillow wrote on 3/25/2007, 5:24 AM
As a favor for a friend, I'm converting some of his old cassette tapes to audio CDs, using Vegas 7. After editing, the resultant Vegas projects usually wind up being longer than can be burned to a single Red Book-compatible CD, so I must burn to 2 (or more) separate CDs.

Making the first one is a snap -- I just create CD track regions starting at the beginning of the timeline and ending somewhat short of 74 minutes. But when I try to create a second CD layout that starts where the first one left off, I get an error message saying that there is a pause of more than 3 seconds before the first track. In other words, Vegas is considering the first 74 or so minutes of audio on the timeline to be a pause rather than ignoring it. Is it not possible to start a CD layout by placing the track regions anywhere in the timeling other than at the very start?

I've been working around this problem by splitting it into a separate Vegas project for each CD, but this is kind of a pain, because it involves writing the first veg file, deleting the portion of the audio for the first disc, then moving all the audio, markers and track regions from their original position to the beginning of the timeline, and saving as a separate veg before burning the CD.

Is there a more straightforward way to create 2 CDs from a single large audio file?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

Geoff_Wood wrote on 3/25/2007, 3:57 PM
Split each 'CD-worth' and drag it to a separate track. Mute the tracks/CD not being written at the time. You'll need new markers for each Cd, so maybe Save As with a different name if you are ever going to need to revisit.

geoff
Chienworks wrote on 3/25/2007, 7:16 PM
I've had this quite often.

To me, creating two separate .veg files seems exceedingly simple compared to trying to keep it all within one project.
cbrillow wrote on 3/26/2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys...
RandyHayes wrote on 3/27/2007, 10:58 AM
Or, you could add a marker to the split point, and bring the .veg file of the project into the timeline of a new instance of Vegas and edit it as a complete waveform with embedded markers intact. That's the beauty of the Vegas workflow.