My first error-free 32bit mode render

Xander wrote on 9/20/2007, 5:32 AM
Last night, I managed to render a 10s timeline consisting of two tracks (both contained Quicktime clips with Alpha) in 32bit linear mode. Took 20 minutes to render on a Dual Core 3.2GHz (Vista 64 HP with 4GB RAM). Little bit slow, but it didn't crash. Every other attempt previously had crashed Vegas 8. Re-did in 32bit video and 8 bit modes - no crashing either. This is progress, but still have more testing to do. And no, I haven't changed any Vegas settings.

Comments

CorTed wrote on 9/20/2007, 9:24 AM
Every other attempt previously had crashed Vegas 8

So was this just luck? since you did not change anything. Can you repeat it?
rmack350 wrote on 9/20/2007, 9:36 AM
It was 10 seconds of timeline. What happens if it's 30 seconds of the same sort of material? How does memory usage look in Taskmanager as the render progresses?

I wonder if there's a memory issue?

Since VP8 isn't specifically made for a 64-bit OS, it'd be important to see the tests on 32-bit Vista and XP. That way you'd have an idea of what's supposed to happen on the OS it's designed for. Where's that rendertest Veg again?

Rob Mack
Xander wrote on 9/20/2007, 10:04 AM
I haven't had much time to do proper testing - just got back from Hawaii. Will do further testing over the next few days. CPU usage varied between 80% and 100%. Memory was at 56%. Being a 32bit app, Vegas can never use the full amount of RAM available.

There there were updates to both Quicktime and Windows between my pre-vacation testing and yesterday - not sure if that had an impact or not.
Xander wrote on 9/20/2007, 5:26 PM
I am forced to conclude that 32bit mode has bugs. I can't find any rhyme or reason why something makes it it crash or why something doesn't. Did try uninstall/re-install. Crashes only happen during 32bit render. 8bit mode has not presented any issues. Hard to isolate or report as error messages are not being generated.

Updates had no effect as one project crashed in the same place (instantly on render) before and after updates.
Xander wrote on 10/8/2007, 4:23 PM
I have discovered something. If I work on a project in 32bit linear mode and save it as a .veg; if I then nest that .veg into a clean project, also in 32bit linear mode, then rendering seems to be fine, i.e. no crashes. If I were to render the orginal .veg without nesting, Vegas 8 would crash every time.

The biggest downside is the rendering hit from both 32 bit mode and nesting - also CPU usuage is not as high.
StormMarc wrote on 10/8/2007, 4:26 PM
32 bit mode has been crashing on me as well. I gave up on it.
TLF wrote on 10/9/2007, 12:22 PM
32-bit mode has been trouble free for me. I edited and rendered a 70 minute project with no problems. Original source was widescreen DV, from 4 x 60 minute tapes.

It took a long time to render, but not a single crash. Core2Duo (6600), 2 GB RAM. Not a spectacular system.

Perhaps when I start working with HDV things will change...
megabit wrote on 10/9/2007, 1:50 PM
"Perhaps when I start working with HDV things will change..."

I've only worked with HDV and 32bit mode - not a single crash of my own stuff; several crashes of the rendertest-hdv.veg (but only under Vista x64; under XP it renders fine, too).

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)