(My) Wedding video help

mekelly wrote on 4/1/2009, 11:00 AM
Hi, I am a semi proficient Vegas Pro user but wanted to see if I could get some friendly advice from those that are much more skilled than I am. I have some footage of my wedding (from 1986) that I captured off of a VHS tape through a Canopus ADVC 100. The quality is obviously not great and I don't expect miracles but wanted to surprise my wife with an anniversary present (a 'remastered' DVD) of the wedding. If any of you have the time would you mind taking a look at the footage and giving me some tips on how to improve it. I have played around with color corrector and levels but would appreciate any specific tips you may have.

I put about a 1 minute sample clip on the web at:

http://kellyfamilyatlanta.com/download/

The file is called wedding test.avi You can double click it to download it in Firefox or right mouse click to save in Internet Explorer.

Thanks for your time in advance!!!!

Comments

Robert W wrote on 4/1/2009, 12:27 PM
I'm downloading it while I go to grab some dinner. I'll try and get back to you in a bit.
bakerja wrote on 4/1/2009, 1:03 PM
I have not viewed the footage, but in general, VHS can be greatly improved by combining MAGIC BULLET movie looks and Neat Video noise reduction. I've done several VHS restorations with these tools and the end result was much improved.

JAB

Edit: Keep in mind these tools take forever to render.
mekelly wrote on 4/1/2009, 1:53 PM
Thanks!
Robert W wrote on 4/1/2009, 3:08 PM
NeatVideo may help, but it is not clear cut. It can remove a slight yellow cast from the brides face (lucky man, by the way) and remove some of the cross colour and grainy noise, but there is a considerable cost in overall clarity. There is a noticable amount of wibbliness in the video that makes things that bit trickier.

My studio is at full tilt at the mo, but I should be able to do you a test render on Friday so you can decide if it is worth you picking up the plugin.
mekelly wrote on 4/1/2009, 3:14 PM
Robert, I actually own NeatVideo (for still and video), but haven't tried it on these clips yet. I appreciate the time and the compliment on the wife!
Robert W wrote on 4/1/2009, 3:56 PM
Ha ha, no probs. Email me at enquiries@adjustableproductions.com and I will send you the preset I was using.

Edit:

Is there a decent VHS dewibbler around somewhere for VirtualDub or something liek that? I have a feeling I have seen one.