Need small monitor suggestions for dual display

frederick-wise wrote on 8/15/2015, 9:59 AM
Hi,

I only have limited space in my editing office and have been using just one 25-inch monitor for years but would love to add another much smaller monitor for just the Video Preview as many of my projects use up to 10 tracks and re-sizing the preview window is a big hassle. I see several between 7 and 10 inches but have no idea which is a good one for Vegas. I'm also wondering if any of the new tablets could be used in this capacity. Any suggestions? FYI - I use an NVIDIA GTX560 video card.

Thanx

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 8/15/2015, 2:00 PM
I would not consider what you are attempting to do. The 7-10 inch field monitor of good quality runs nearly $600.00 , far more than what you need to spend. There is also a problem with field of view on the desktop as anything in Preview output is going to look always better than it is. This is the wrong way to go for the function.

Now I own these field monitors for use in the field, and occassionally I hook them up in the edit bay for direct output from a camera, for the function of camera preview. That is a much different and better suited application of them than your proposal.

What you need for the preview window is a good IPS LCD screen of at least 17" - a new one would run you less than $140.
wwaag wrote on 8/15/2015, 4:40 PM
Agree completely with the above post. Having used a dual monitor set up for the past few years, I couldn't imagine going back to a single screen. Being forced to use a laptop earlier this year for a multi-camera shoot was really painful. If horizontal space is a space, how about mounting your preview monitor above using a stand something like this?

http://www.displays2go.com/P-17018/Vertical-Monitor-Stand-Can-Mount-Two-13-27-Flat-Screen-Displays?utm_source=google.pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&gclid=CJeKhrqFrMcCFZGBfgodXn0B2Q

I'm not recommending this stand at all--only illustrating what you might consider.

wwaag
TheHappyFriar wrote on 8/15/2015, 5:02 PM
I took some scrap particle board & 4x4's and made my own vertical stand. I would rather have horizontal but desk space doesn't allow. Looking up/down isn't as fun as sideways.
frederick-wise wrote on 8/16/2015, 9:40 AM
Thanx for the responses. I've considered the vertical option but that will likely just give me a neck and headache. I think I have an old 12"? monitor in my attic, maybe I can use that but I was hoping someone knew of a 7" to 10", slim monitor similar to a tablet. I forgot to add this info, my wife also uses this desk for paying bills, etc., and I know she doesn't want me to "take it over", lol!
wwaag wrote on 8/16/2015, 9:50 AM
@JV1

Just re-read your original post.

many of my projects use up to 10 tracks and re-sizing the preview window is a big hassle

This shouldn't be a hassle at all. You may not be aware that you can "save" your screen layout. Once you get your preview the way you want it, go to View_Windows Layout, and simply save Layout as... This way you can recall your exact layout, with just a few keystrokes. I have 7 or 8 layouts that I use, depending upon where I am in a project workflow. I would suggest doing this rather than using an "old extra monitor" that may introduce issues of color accuracy. Just a thought.

wwaag
videoITguy wrote on 8/16/2015, 12:02 PM
Now, I would interpret the OP's issue is just about expediency. As I stated earlier, I don't agree with this direction.

Discard your old monitor in the trash or save it for watching television in the bedroom.

The old piece has no use a preview monitor. A preview is an issue of Quality Control, not just seeing if you have picture. If you are unfamiliar with this concept in an NLE edit bay , then I suggest some serious reflection.

You can create a mount for preview monitor with 17in diagonal with no problem at all, by combination of monitor stagger, monitor height, and monitor mount angle. You can do it.

In my edit bay I have four monitors, the largest being 25 inch diagonal, and the horizontal measure for the desk is 39 inches wide.
frederick-wise wrote on 8/17/2015, 6:51 AM
Thanx waag,

I had no idea I could save layouts and then recall them so easily. I think I'll try out this option before getting a little monitor (which is fairly hard to find as most small ones seem to be for surveillance cameras).
OldSmoke wrote on 8/17/2015, 7:06 AM
You can always get a 7" on camera monitor provided your PC has HDMI out or DVI with a DVI to HDMI converter. However, like others pointed out it doesn't make much sense to have such a monitor for preview.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

espressif wrote on 8/17/2015, 10:25 AM
I love this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160064