Need unpatition program suggests

TorS wrote on 7/27/2005, 7:06 AM
The unthinkable seems to have happened.
Being very familiar with fdisk, I tried for the first time to set up a new harddisk in XP Pro. I missed. Should have stayed with fdisk.
There is a program called Recover It All which sells for $99 just this week, but I've also seen shareware offerings for less than 50. Any advise?
Tor

Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/27/2005, 8:36 AM
so what are you trying to do? Just re-install windows? If you are, how did you mess it up with XP (I'm assuming it's the same text interface as 2k)

If you want a good partitiion mngr w/o spending a lot of $$$, download a copy of linux. I have Mandrake 9.2 & on install I can do anything to the partitation tables I want. :)
TorS wrote on 7/27/2005, 8:57 AM
I replaced one harddisk and tried to have Xp set it up (partition, logical drives and stuff). In the process I must have repartitioned one of my other drives (I have not written to it, so data should be recoverable). What i need is not another operating system but a (simple) program that can identify and recover the previous partition and file system.
If any of you can recommend (or warn against) such programs, I'd appreciate it.
Tor
trock wrote on 7/27/2005, 11:09 AM
Disk Director includes lost partition recovery but I'm not sure if it already has to be on the system or not.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/
DelCallo wrote on 7/30/2005, 6:33 AM
Don't know if this helps in your situation, or not - actually, not being an expert, I don't even know the effects of the problem you describe - but assume that, your data, if still viable, is no longer accessible.

This happened to one of my drives (an external that got messed up during one of XP's notorious delayed write errors). XP kept telling me that the disc needed to be formatted. I had some very valuable data on the disc, so, I luckily found online a program called "GetDataBackNow". It's been a while, but I think the XP only version ran around $80. It successfully catalogued all the files on the disc, and allowed me to copy them to another drive before formatting the problem disc. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.
Del