Nesting Irritation

Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/28/2005, 9:25 PM
I've nested 5 or 6 projects by doing most of the editing in 5 or 6 veggies, then combining them into a nested project. In the nested project I don't believe I created any transtions, just fades, and added music and titles -- unil now!

I nested 6 veggies after basic edits in each one, then began to apply transitions and music and fades etc, to the combined veggie. After doing a lot of work I suddenly noticed that all my transitions are weird. When I overlap a cut for a transition, the first frame (in fact all the frames from the preceeding cut) of the transition is a zoomed-in upper left view of the fadeout cut, not the whole picture, creating a flashin flashback effect in each transition.

I've tried undoing transitions, changing their lengths, etc. Still get the same thing with every transition, even if I Shift B them to render them to memory.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I cut and add transitions to a nested project or is this weirdness just happening to me.

P.S. I just reloaded my computer from scratch for other reasons, and it happened before and after.

Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 12/28/2005, 9:34 PM
Paul,
Are you using Vegas 6c? If not, definitely update.
Also, be sure that your Quantize to Frames is enabled.

I've never seen what you're describing as far as zooms or flashback, but have had other weirdnesses in Vegas 6 & 6a.
Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/28/2005, 9:43 PM
Douglas, you're a life-saver. Thank you very much. I spent several hours developing an intro for this movie, consisting of a lot of overlap transitions and you hit the nail on the head -- Quantize! For some reason I haven't paid any attention to that for a long time although I had found it important in other projects in the past! (P.S. I am using 6c).
kentwolf wrote on 12/28/2005, 9:50 PM
If you are using the nesting feature, be sure to NOT use any markers on the main timeline. It messes up the calculated duration of the nested projects.

This is a (HUGE) bug in 6.0c. Presumably, it will be fixed.
Steve Mann wrote on 12/28/2005, 10:10 PM
Bug, yes, but calling it huge is alarmist because there is a simple workaround.
Grazie wrote on 12/28/2005, 10:29 PM
"One man's gnat is another man's dung beetle." - Grazie
Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/28/2005, 10:43 PM
I guess I still have to tear my hair out! Turned on quantize to frames and then began to redrag transitions back and forth and then right-arrowed through them and they were fine. Now they're all back to the 1/4th upper right zoomed in at the start of every transition! Weird! I'm looking at other options but this is a fresh install of Vegas and it's doing the same thing it did before the reinstall. Maybe it's tied into the original 24p render I did at the very beginning. I don't know!
Grazie wrote on 12/28/2005, 10:55 PM
Paul - I am trying to repro your issue here in London .. . working on it. . . G
Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/28/2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks, Grazie. Guess what. Everything's fine now! I really don't know why. I Do have Quantize on and this last time I realized that I had bypass effects pushed. I turned that off, reloaded the combined veg and everything works fine. I'm yawning a lot and I think I'll just cross my fingers and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow the ghost in the computer will be mad at me, or maybe he's tired of playing with my head! We'll see!
Grazie wrote on 12/28/2005, 11:13 PM
GOOD! - See, all I needed to do was try a feew things here in London and HEY presto! - Total magic! - Well, I'm glad for you . .. really!

GO TO BED!

Grazie
kentwolf wrote on 12/29/2005, 4:35 AM
>>...there is a simple workaround.

What workaround is there besides just not using markers? I use them a lot...thus the "huge" moniker.

Thanks.
Steve Mann wrote on 12/30/2005, 1:12 PM
I put a marker where the nested event should end and snip it off after I drag in the veg file

Steve Mann.
Paul_Holmes wrote on 12/30/2005, 1:32 PM
I see this thread was brought back for other reasons, but in my case the problem of transitions is still there occasionally in preview mode, but when I render It works. Maybe this was caused by the veg files I brought in to the combined veg because I didn't have quantize on in the nested files. Anyways the final results are fine, but it's a little irritating to try to preview live and have the end of the last clip suddenly zoomed-in as it hits the transition start.