New Camera: Canon Vixia HF R60

Dave wrote on 2/24/2016, 9:24 PM
Hey,

I got myself a new camera and am wondering if anyone here has recommendations on the best settings to use for the highest video quality in use with Movie Studio Platinum 12.

For now, I have it set to record AVCHD at 60P. However, it will also record to MP4 as well as at other frame rates.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm simply looking in to how to get the most out of this camera.

Thanks!

Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 2/25/2016, 8:07 AM
1920x1080 AVCHD at 60p.
mike_in_ky wrote on 2/25/2016, 9:08 AM
I've been using a Canon Vixia HF R30 for the past couple years. I shoot AVCHD 30P. It's a tradeoff of file size vs quality. I've had good results with 30P.
Jillian wrote on 2/25/2016, 10:04 AM
I do a lot of wildlife photography and shoot that in 4K, even though I mostly deliver in BluRay/DVD.

For regular work, such as travel, I shoot in 60i/30p since that seems to give the best bang for the buck as far as ease of editing and size of files. For a while I shot travel in 60p but the resulting BluRay was actually slightly duller that the 60i/30p.

The best solution is probably to shoot some footage in several resolutions, edit and render it into your chosen delivery format, and look at it on your TV/Computer. One resolution may stand out, then you'll know what works best for you.

UKharrie wrote on 2/26/2016, 10:46 AM
DaveKiing, Hi
I suspect yr manual will give info on Filesize, - although it may be wrapped up as "number of minutes on a 32G card" - the shorter the time will mean you are getting more information - hence higher Quality.
Whenever possible record in the highest quality, even if that means buying more Memory cards - and look at the card-speed as this could affect write-times - this should be in the camcorder instruction manual.

BTW - always use a tripod, unless you are super-steady - this makes a big difference to the "watch-ability" - although Family will say they don't mind.... it does affect the pleasure-level and the steadier it is the better... ideally use a tripod with a "fluid head" - which restricts how fast you can pan ( Slow is best! IMHO) - if you are already using Sony's Movie Studio it's easy enough to speed-up in the Edit - and if you have the Pro version, you can alter the speeding against Time, so a pan comes to a gentle stop. Rules are to be broken and maybe once a fast-pan will help to show some action the audience wasn't expecting - that's the Art in the Edit.

If you select a clip on the timeline, where the cursor is placed you can take a "Snapshot" - best to do this to file ( rather than "Clipboard" IMHO,,,, the still frame can be checked under "Properties" and that will tell you about pixels and the Memory used.
+Whilst including stills is sometimes acceptable, it's far better to start with a real Still - so take some on the camcorder for use "just in case".

Good luck.