New RXII Video: "World's Deadliest Catch" -

Grazie wrote on 3/29/2012, 5:48 PM
RXII is pure VooDoo. Here is a demo of it being used on that great TV show:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du1J32b9sigI&v=u1J32b9sigI&gl=GB&rdm=4pxacko22]

Grazie

Comments

Tim L wrote on 3/29/2012, 8:50 PM
Here's an updated link:

Izotope RX2 used on TV shows The Deadliest Catch, AxeMen, etc.
farss wrote on 3/30/2012, 7:34 AM
"RXII is pure VooDoo"

Probably the best piece of software I've bought, ever, period.
And I have Grazie to thank for putting me onto it.

Where it's made a difference for me is pretty much in the same realm as the first example in that video. In theory we could have fixed problems with ADR, in practise that's way more problematic than everyone but myself thought it would be. Thanks to Rx I can fix the location audio well enough to live with it. Huge time saver, huge frustration saver.

Bob.
Hulk wrote on 3/30/2012, 2:04 PM
Um maybe it's me but I don't get it. In the first example that subsonic rumble could have been removed using a high pass filter in 10 seconds. The second example I don't get at all. There was not vocal or audio on top of that horn noise! Just blank it out, lower the volume, or whatever.
In the third example he removed the squeak which I think was a necessary part of showing the mechanical nature of the device in the video. And again I didn't hear any dialogue on top that the squeak was interfering with.
The spectrograph and software look cool but those examples in my opinion were really lame.
99% of the audio in those shows only need a little EQ, compression, and limiting and it's good to go. They are reality shows and some of the reality needs to remain.
Like I said I don't get it.
farss wrote on 3/30/2012, 2:36 PM
"In the first example that subsonic rumble could have been removed using a high pass filter in 10 seconds"

That's in effect what he used. The difference is the ones in Rx are very high Q. You tell it to remove anything below 120Hz and everything below 120Hz is gone. It then puts back the fundamentals of anything outside that part of the spectrum. The effect is then like washing away the unwanted sounds without introducing artifacts that you get from the very high Q digital filters.

"The second example I don't get at all. There was not vocal or audio on top of that horn noise! Just blank it out, lower the volume, or whatever."

If you do that you get a hole in the ambient sound. You could patch that but it is tedious. Of course as you say if it's over the top of dialog then that's when Rx really shines and the examples used could have been better.

My only gripe about Rx is they do not make it at all clear the difference in what can be done with the standard version compared to the advanced version and there is a considerable difference in price. They have a $200 discount on the upgrade at the moment and I'm still uncertain to buy as I'm uncertain of what I'd get for my money.

Bob.
Leee wrote on 3/30/2012, 3:12 PM
I have an old audio cassette tape of a local band (from around 1980) that has great sentimental value to me. But something happened to the tape, maybe the cassette came to close to a small magnetic source, or maybe it was just a design flaw, but what happens is there are audio dropouts throughout the recording, at almost regular 20 second intervals. And since its a 90 minute tape, it would take forever to boost all those dropouts by hand (although I did try doing that for a couple of songs).

So I'm just wondering if RX II could help me with something like that? I downloaded the demo and must admit being a little overwhelmed with all the features, and I didn't see any function to deal specifically with dropouts, especially not those that occur at 20 second intervals throughout the tape. Any chance there is a tool that can help with this?
Steven Myers wrote on 3/30/2012, 4:45 PM
dropouts

Spectral Repair | Replace
farss wrote on 3/30/2012, 4:51 PM
Unfortunately if they're fairly long it may not have enough data to woek with.
I also cannot think of a way to automate the process.

I'd also suggest taking a good look at the actual cassette tape itself. A new case might help, perhaps the tape is twisting as it jams on the cheeks. I've also had one cassette with a case of "sticky shed syndrome" which was dealt with by a bit of cooking.

Bob.

Hulk wrote on 3/30/2012, 7:02 PM
Bob,

I have been a Waves guy for years so it's hard to take in a new plug. I have heard great things about Izotope and I do plan to try them out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "puts back the fundamentals." When you high pass cut with say a 24dB/octave filter that's pretty steep. So are you saying if there is wind noise and a bass playing you could separate the bass from the wind noise? That I would like to see/hear!
Leee wrote on 3/31/2012, 1:04 AM
"dropouts
Spectral Repair | Replace"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Steven, I'll give that a try.

"Unfortunately if they're fairly long it may not have enough data to woek with.
I also cannot think of a way to automate the process."
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: The dropouts are not a total loss of data, mostly the high end and about 50% of the volume. The simplest method that I've tried (in SoundForge) is highlighting the portion I want to repair, bring up the volume to match the surrounding portion of the audio, and then add EQ , mostly midrange to bring back some of the top end without getting too much hiss.

But it seems that just from the UI in RXII alone might make this an easier task even if I can't automate it. It'll just be a long tedious process of repeating the steps several dozen times.
farss wrote on 3/31/2012, 4:13 AM
"When you high pass cut with say a 24dB/octave filter that's pretty steep"

I have no idea how many dB/octave these filters are, one octave from the corner frequency there seems to be nothing there. These kinds of filters I think are usually refered to as "forensic".

"So are you saying if there is wind noise and a bass playing you could separate the bass from the wind noise? That I would like to see/hear! "

It really is about that good. I've used it to remove hum/buzz from a recording where they'd used a 3.5mm 10M long headphone extension cable as an unbalanced mic extension cable. It was a case of noise to signal ratio. I wouldn't have called the outcome pristine but it was certainly passable enough for the production to use. Certainl Rx is WAY beyond anything that ships with Sound Forge. Even the Clipped Peak Restoration is dramatically better.

Don't take my word for it, download the demo version and take it for a spin.

Bob.

Andy_L wrote on 3/31/2012, 9:41 AM
Trying the demo: the click reduction is very impressive on a terribly compromised track I've got (backpack straps were loose in wind). The spectral tool looks very cool, but this is probably something that's most useful in a relatively limited number of cases--examples like the one on the video with short, distinct, piercing sounds that are not complex.

I think I'm just using standard-price tools. There is a big jump in price for the advanced version, which is kind of a bummer.

I continue to find old fashioned cut-and-paste a very powerful technique: find clean audio and just replace bad sections with good. It's fast, and it's free...

I'll keep playing with RX2, though. at $299 it's tempting.
Leee wrote on 3/31/2012, 12:51 PM
There is a big jump in price for the advanced version, which is kind of a bummer.

Yeah I think Izotope might shot themselves inthe foot with this pricing scheme. For most common folk $300 is usually doable, you can justify it and your spouse won't kill you for "spending money on more stupid software" But IMHO the jump to $1000 is just too much for most of us to make, especially since the extra features (dollar to feature) don't add up to an extra $700.

But I guess they figure that's what separates the men from the boys, or the "pros" from the consumers. Maybe they should have had a third (middle) version aimed for us "prosumer" people.

EDIT: Well this is just ridiculous! S-T-U-P-I-D is NOT an obscenity! Especially when I'm talking about a stupid piece of software. It's not like I'm calling anyone a stupid ass!

EDIT EDIT: Okay I was looking over the features in the advanced version, and yes they ARE pretty cool, and I admit, probably worth the extra dough. But I still can't afford it!!!!