Comments

jeremyk wrote on 11/28/2003, 2:12 PM
This is excellent! Thank you!!

One minor point. The tutorial says regarding color selection, "Depending on which pixel you click on you may still get rather drastic changes depending on which pixel was clicked, so don't assume your first attempt will be the best." In fact, you can click and drag the eyedropper to select a rectangular area of the preview window, and the color chosen will be the average of the pixels in the area.

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot.

Jeremy
BillyBoy wrote on 11/28/2003, 2:18 PM
You can drag an area out with the eyedropper but I think that's more for setting up a mask when you use the secondary color corrector for example to change the color of any object by using a range to apply it to.

What would be nice would be a means to zoom in on the preview window so you could more accurely pick the pixel you want to use. AFAIK no way to do that yet.

Your idea has merit too if you use a small enough sample. I'm wondering if that would result in a true average and how big the area you drew would effect it.

Oops forgot... The reason I suggested you try multiple samples is in my doing it every once in awhile I've seen the color wheel really jump when I picked what looks like a very similar pixel. Again its hard to tell what pixel you are sampling because you can't zoom in.
Paul_Holmes wrote on 11/28/2003, 4:06 PM
This is just what I was looking for. After learning how to set black and white points in Paint Shop Pro I was wishing there was a way to do this in Vegas. I did some tests and can see my color correction looks a lot more natural now. Thanks!
johnmeyer wrote on 11/28/2003, 6:46 PM
The reason I suggested you try multiple samples is in my doing it every once in awhile I've seen the color wheel really jump when I picked what looks like a very similar pixel. Again its hard to tell what pixel you are sampling because you can't zoom in.

BB,

Excellent tutorial. Where was it last week when I needed it? :)

On the point you make above, I ran into this, and I found out why it occurs and how to get around it. You might want to add this to the tutorial. It appears that once you have changed the color wheel, if you then use the eyedropper to take another sample, it samples the corrected color space, and therefore jumps to the opposite side of the wheel. The solution is to always double click on the color corrector control (which centers it) before doing another sample.
BillyBoy wrote on 11/28/2003, 6:59 PM
Oh my goodness... I just had one of those dah or is it duh moments. I'll have to email Homer Simpson and ask which covers it.

Sure, I've seen that and darn if I didn't connect the dots. Thanks for sharing. I 'll add that to the tutorial and what Jeremy mentioned earlier.

Thanks guys.
Catwell wrote on 11/28/2003, 7:04 PM
Thank You! This really helps my understanding of the process. Another excellent tutorial.
BillyBoy wrote on 11/28/2003, 7:34 PM
Updated the tutorial to include Jeremey's and John's suggestions.

If you looked at it already, just reread the last couple short paragraphs.
AlistairLock wrote on 11/29/2003, 3:18 AM
Can I suggest a workaround to the in/ability to zoom in on the preview window when choosing a pixel?
If you set the project to one of the hi def settings, doesn’t that make the picture larger so you could more accurately pick a pixel?

I know it would be a bit of a bind changing the project properties back and forth, but as I said, it is a workaround.
craftech wrote on 11/29/2003, 10:05 AM
Bill,
Thanks again for a really helpful tutorial.
John