Nikon D5100 $200 discount: D5200 on the way?

Laurence wrote on 7/24/2012, 2:55 PM
I just got an email today from Nikon announcing that direct sales of the D5100 are on sale for $200 off. Nikon did something like this with the D3100 right before the D3200 was announced. Hopefully the D5200 is on it's way. A camera like my D5100 but with a little more manual control would be something I would jump at.

Comments

apit34356 wrote on 7/25/2012, 11:51 AM
This last month or so in the USA, there has been a lot of discounting on the Nikon inventory because of upcoming new line of "improved" cameras.

This link is a nice summary; http://www.cameratown.com/

but their email summary of daily specials is the best part, one email, lot of deals and announcements

The above link was posted many years on this forum by everyone's favorite cowboy film producer/editor/director.
winrockpost wrote on 7/25/2012, 5:16 PM
that discount has been going on a couple a months, I bought one at 645 with lens a few months ago.... almost manual controls..darn iso:) great cam for the money, add a loupe and works really good for me
Laurence wrote on 7/25/2012, 11:37 PM
ISO and the shutter speed. For a while I was setting the minimum shutter speed to 60 under the mistaken impression that this was setting the video shutter speed to this number. The display said it was... It wasn't until I noticed that the cadence of some ceiling fans wasn't changing when I adjusted this that I realized that all I was doing was setting overly long still shot shutter when I did this... Oh well. Fast shutters don't look nearly as bad as I thought they would, at least they don't unless I'm shooting something that's moving fast...

Now that I know what to look for and am sort of hyper aware of shutter speed, I notice that a lot of Canon users have the same shutter issues I do in my footage. I can tell when somebody is cheating by speeding up their shutter speed instead of stopping the lens down with add on ND filters and can say quite confidently that what I see is that people who shoot with DSLRs are doing this all the time, regardless of what they say...

What I'm hoping is that on whatever update is coming for Nikon in the articulable screen version (D5200 I expect), that there will be a full manual mode in addition to the aperture priority video mode that they have now. I will shoot in aperture priority mode the way I already do most of the time, but when I need the extra control for something moving way fast in front of the screen, I'll be able to ND the screen and set the shutter speed appropriately. Really, the faster shutter looks fine to me most of the time. In fact, there are times I prefer it, like when I add a little extra stabilization to the image. Even pans and tilts don't bother me because I have learned to keyframe a little blur in on the axis of the movement (which looks great). It's just things that move fast that bother me with the faster shutter.

As far as auto ISO goes, that doesn't really bother me. I can drop it down with the exposure compensation if I want a dark look, and shooting with a fast f-stop lens on this camera looks exceptionally good in dimly lit situations even with the auto ISO. You do need a fast lens though. The kit lens or any of the other 3.5 zoom lenses look like crap in low light.
Chienworks wrote on 7/26/2012, 12:12 AM
ND filters do not stop down the lens. They do reduce the amount of light going through the lens, but not by stopping it down.

Why not take ISO off auto and choose a lower speed that you want to use? With my Nikon DSLR i'm constantly changing the ISO to whatever is appropriate for each shot.
Byron K wrote on 7/26/2012, 1:19 AM
The price reduction could also be in response to Canon's release of their new T4i and price reduction of the T3i.
Laurence wrote on 7/26/2012, 7:47 AM
The manual mode control over ISO on this camera doesn't affect the video ISO which is in auto regardless of where you set it in manual. It's got auto ISO, auto shutter speed. When the exposure changes automatically, it does so in jumps. The audio is terrible as well and only is remotely useable in one of it's four settings.

The camera is definitely a compromise, but it's cheap, uses Nikon glass, and is giving me decent looking footage as I do my current projects and wait for something better. I have a 2.8 17-50mm lens on it most of the time so the noise from the aut ISO is negligible, oven in the lowest light.

As I buy my next camera, I know it won't be perfect either. I want a camera that does both stills and video. I don't really see much much advantage of a full frame sensor over an APS sensor for video. The NIkon D4 is only really sharp enough in the 2.7 crop mode. The 5D Mark 3 and D800 aren't really much better than an APS camera for video and neither one has an articulable display. They both have contrast based auto-focus that hunts too muchThe Canon T4i still has moiré and aliasing issues as well as contrast based autofocus that hunts too much. The Sony mirrorless cameras are interesting but they overheat, have moiré and aliasing issues, and only do audio with auto levels (which is intentional crippling IMHO).

The Nikon D3200 is interesting. It has the aliasing and moiré issues of the other DSLR cameras and the autofocus hunts as well, but it lets you set everything manually including audio with meters. What I like about the D3200 is that it uses my Nikon glass, let's you set everything, has the same sensor as the NEX 7, and is cheap enough that I don't mind replacing it again next year. What I don't like is that it doesn't have an articulable LCD. I am happy with the screen on my D5100 with a Hoodman.

Hence my interest in a "D5200". If it is nothing more than a D3200 with an articulable screen I will be happy. If they keep some of the other D5100 features like bracketing and time lapse, I will be happier. If they by chance they include the anti-aliasing technology if the D800, I will be thrilled.
Laurence wrote on 7/26/2012, 7:52 AM
Whatever Panasonic does with the New version of the GH2 will also be really interesting. The Panasonic G5 looks greatt as well. All that needs to happen to get me to go with 4/3rds is for someone (anyone) to make a 2.8 comfortable range zoom lens with stabilization. Tamron, are you listening?
winrockpost wrote on 7/26/2012, 8:31 AM
I think I get The 5100 shutter speed and exposure locked....key word here think... but only used it in controlled lighting sit down stuff...looks awesome... my wife uses it all the time for stills , and as a family cam shooting video in fully auto mode...does pretty well for that
Laurence wrote on 7/26/2012, 8:55 AM
You can definitely lock the shutter speed and exposure. I have a button preset to do that every time I press it. What you can't control is what those values are that you are locking. The compromise between ISO and shutter speed is something that the camera must do. You don't have access to it.

The camera obviously has some sort of limit like a sixtieth of a frame or so on the shutter speed (I don't know what that is, but I don't see motion blur in low light so I am assuming it is pretty fast). After that the auto ISO kicks in. It can look really nasty in low light with the kit 3.5-5 lens, but put on a faster lens and look out.

I've got night shots with a 1.8 prime where there is no noticeable noise whatsoever, and with my 2.8, there is just a hint of noise in the shadows in a dark shot. Definitely useable, and far better than what I could get with my HDV camera. In fact it is beyond useable, the image I get with the D5100 and a $200 1.8 prime is stunning.

I have yet to see a large sensor camera that isn't a compromise in one way or another. The technology is right in the middle of a growth spurt, and the question is not "what is the best camera?". The question is "which camera will get me through my current work without spending a fortune?" No matter what you get today, it will be terrible by 2014 standards.

The D5100, for all it's quirks, lets me get a great image. Yeah I have to do some strange things to get that image, but at the end of a job, that's what counts.