ok, I'm sure someone has asked this question...

newmediarules wrote on 4/6/2009, 7:33 AM
but since I don't know what the technique is called, I can't search for it.

Common practice these days, but still difficult to describe. Have you seen these promos for major films over the last year or so? The text (a credit for an actor) over an image is sometimes partially hidden behind the image. It feels very green-screenish, but it's so common I'm assuming it's something we all can do.

In fact, if you look at (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro), "The Conspiracy Report" seems to mimick this.

How do they do that?


FrigidNDEditing wrote on 4/7/2009, 9:21 PM
masking or layering.

You can either create a mask and cut out a section of the video (in which case, you may need to continue to keyframe the mask to match).

Or you can key out the BG, and pull the stuff you want over the text on a layer above it, and then have the BG behind them.