once agian (QT issues)

JHendrix2 wrote on 12/3/2013, 3:19 PM
I was using ScreenFlow on Mac and I rendered a bunch of clips using Lossless (Apple animation) . If I drag in a few clips it works fine but as soon as I drag in a substantial amount like about an hours worth or more...I start getting bugs like:

Red screen
Audio plays with no Waveform
Audio plays with no video
Media Offline
Crash / Hang
etc..

Outside of creating tons of short projects...anything I can do to avoid QT he#$?

NOTE: these are big 2560x144o recorded on iMac screen for Pan/Scan tutorials

Comments

dxdy wrote on 12/3/2013, 4:20 PM
What is your QT version on your computer? I swear by 7.6.2, I have had lots of Vegas problems with everything else.
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/3/2013, 6:12 PM
7.6.2 = no change

anyone ever have better luck using something other than Animation out of ScreenFlow?

or

Has anyone brought in the same specs of QT and had it work?? (in short or over 1 hour timelines)

avi from screenflow would be great but it does not do it.
ddm wrote on 12/3/2013, 6:40 PM
I can't speak to the use of screenflow, but I do have some experience with the animation codec and I recall that it was always huge and slow and those were back in the SD days, although it was good quality. I would try using Avid's DNxHD codec or Apple's Prores, although I'm not sure that exact resolution would work as it is not a standard HD or 2k resolution. You'll have to try it and see. Either one of those codecs should play back better than the animation codec.
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/3/2013, 7:52 PM
yes that would be great but cant control dimensions. i am in screeflow export now and it looks like the only animation alternatives (where you can control dimension) are

windows media
h.264
mpeg-4 video

might have to try h.264 or mpeg-4 video
ddm wrote on 12/3/2013, 8:50 PM
Can you lower the screen res to something like 1920x1080 before capture?
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/3/2013, 10:14 PM
yes with SF i can output over and over any size from the SF document. so i could export at a lower size. would rather not but might be a good option.
JasonATL wrote on 12/4/2013, 6:45 AM
In my experience, Vegas just fails to work with a large number of .mov files of any dimension. I doubt the codec is the issue, since Vegas fails with DNxHD for me. I plan on testing ProRes this weekend, but not with high hopes.

People point the finger at Apple/QuickTime, but the truth is that this is a Vegas issue. I'm waiting for Sony to fix this, but they still have not. For this reason, I am learning to like Premiere Pro more and more.

My recommendation would be to convert the files to another format. I think .mp4 should work and I have found .mxf to work. Rather tedious, I know, unless you have a program that will do it easily for you. But, if you must use Vegas, this is the workaround I have found.
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/4/2013, 1:20 PM
Thanks yes I agree in the end this is a vegas issue and has taken months of my time over several years it is the worst bug in vegas. right. And yes it is likely not going to matter if I make it smaller frame size. I might just have to start editing short projects because this troubleshooting usually leads nowhere and takes ton of time.
ddm wrote on 12/4/2013, 5:07 PM
So how many qicktime files are alot, or too many? I've used in the neighborhood of 30 to 50 in several multicamera projects over the last 3 years or so and have never had the types of problems described here. All of the multicam projects I've done all run over 1 hour in length, which I keep in one timeline, but I do generally render out each song individually, as these are all music concerts, so I'm left with 30 or so rendered songs that I then string together in another timeline and fade in and out and crossfade into one seamless hour concert. I never render to quicktime but usually I have at least two cameras that shoot mov files only.
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/4/2013, 9:45 PM
for no known or good reason vegas can choke on 1 qt file. or it can play a project with 100. it depends and it is totally random. in this case, i have about 150 i can add them in any combination and I get about half way and vegas chokes.

i gave up and just went ahead and started editing today. i am about 30 minites in and waiting for it to choke. then i will start a new project file. (this could backfire and suddenly not open but i am used to working in vegas with that kind of stress)
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/6/2013, 10:44 PM
and as has happened before once the project starts crashing (as in crashing on launch) on my preferred faster computer. i take it over to me older slower computer (with all same software installed ) and it opens.

almost seems like maybe the faster SSD drive is causing vegas to choke like vegas cant keep up with the snappy opening and it dies.

ha ha, actually spoke too soon. like clockwork I can recreate the crash and the hack workaround. so if the project is dieing while it is opening (like 10%, 23%...whatever) i can move my video files and relaunch - forcing vegas to ask to find them. and when i do this it will open after vegas finds them. sort of like the trick of turning off the audio waveforms in an open project and then opening the "bad" project (which I also have to do ALOT)

musicvid10 wrote on 12/6/2013, 10:58 PM
1. Apple Animation is outdated RLE compression.
2. In areas of movement, it is NO compression.
3. It is NOT lossless, due to an abundance of mathematical rounding error.
4. Don't use it. It's a joke.

Suggestion: Try DNxHD. There is now 10 bit 4:2:2 444 Mbps available, which is pretty sweet on CG.
JHendrix2 wrote on 12/6/2013, 11:10 PM
How would you get the giant frame size ? is that what 4:2:2 is? i did not see this. do I have to get a newer version?
musicvid10 wrote on 12/6/2013, 11:14 PM
Oh, didn't see that. Will PNG or JPEG 2000 do the bigger dimensions?