Opening Project Hang

kairosmatt wrote on 8/25/2017, 10:16 AM

Hi everyone,

Long time no post! I saw the new version of Vegas is coming out, and it may be too late but I'm hoping for a response from the new team. It was suggested I start a new thread in that spirit. This happens in Vegas 13 and 14 (not sure about previous versions-it does not happen in Vegas 8 64 bit or 32 or even Vegas 10 for all its other problem).

Eventually while you are deep into a project the project file will hang on opening. The task manager will hit 25% and just stay there. Sometimes you can wait it out. The best solution is to move the project file to a different location, disconnect the hard drive (or change the drive letter), open the file, leave the media offline, reconnect and Vegas will find the media no problem. Edit away.

From there you can delete a file from the timeline, one by one, and you have to also clear it from the Project Media. Keep saving and reopening. Eventually you will find the problem file. Re render it and replace and you can keep going. I have found that the problem file will work perfectly well in other projects, and will not be the culprit.

Some other notes:

1. Turning off waveforms or video thumbnails makes no difference.

2. GPU off or on does not matter.

3. Type of file is inconstant. AVCHD, ProRes, AVI, MP4. Wav *seems* to be the most problematic but not always. It can also happen with a mix of content, or constant content (happened with all AVCHD one time).

4. At least 4 different computers for me. However, never used Vegas on a Mac.

5. Happens with internal and a variety of external drives.

6. Size of project doesn't seem to matter. Can happen quickly with just a few files, or when you are deep in. If you're deep in its a huge time suck to find that one file that is messing up.

7. Nesting doesn't have an effect.

8. Complexity of FX, or plugins, or external (soundforge, boris, hitfilm etc) doesn't matter (can happen on a simple project too).

9. Media Manager (not to be confused with Project Media) is not even installed on my current machine.

It really seems to be just the way the Project Media is loading files on startup. Its a real pain in the but! Just putting this here for the record and hoping that its fixed in Vegas 15!

kairosmatt

Comments

Marco. wrote on 8/25/2017, 4:20 PM

Be sure to use latest build 270. Also, in some cases resetting Vegas Pro by holding down Ctrl+Shift while starting the app helps (beware all individual presets will be lost then).

kairosmatt wrote on 8/25/2017, 5:17 PM

Newest version of Vegas 14 (build 270) with a fresh install and it carries the same problem from a Vegas 13 project. The same work around also works with 14, and once you go through the steps of rerendering a single file (if you can find it!) Vegas 14 opens it no problem.

set wrote on 8/25/2017, 5:25 PM

Try wait longer... probably seems like it 'hangs', but actually it is still loading.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

kairosmatt wrote on 8/28/2017, 7:53 AM

Weeeelllllll.....I've just tested a problem project that hangs 13 and 14 on the demo of 15 and....

It works! Either they have specifically addressed this problem or by rebuilding something they have eliminated the bug. No idea, just starting playing, but will dig up some other problem files and see what happens.

kairosmatt