OT: A geek's analysis of VP8

Coursedesign wrote on 5/23/2010, 7:51 AM
An experienced open-source developer has written a deep analysis of VP8.

On a non-technical note, Google has not offered to indemnify anyone who uses VP8 and gets sued for royalties.

The MPEG Licensing Authority is currently lining up its patent portfolio to go after those who wish to use VP8 (if any), and the deep analysis seems to indicate that MPEG-LA will prevail very easily.

Add to that the technical analysis, including the fact that unlike with H.264 there is no hardware support anywhere, so mobile and tablet CPUs have to decode it in software, which drains batteries so quickly they look like spent juice cartons.

Comments

dibbkd wrote on 5/23/2010, 9:09 AM
We know that VP8 means Vegas Pro 8, but non-Vegas folks might not catch on so quickly, especially since the word Sony or Vegas don't appear anywhere in the article.

You'd think they'd at least mention "Sony Vegas Pro 8" in the beginning and then reference it as VP8 from then on.

Interesting never the less.
LoTN wrote on 5/23/2010, 9:23 AM
Some confusion here. VP8 is the name of a CODEC.
Harold Brown wrote on 5/23/2010, 9:24 AM
You'd think they'd at least mention "Sony Vegas Pro 8" in the beginning and then reference it as VP8 from then on.
VP8 is a codec not Sony Vegas.
UlfLaursen wrote on 5/23/2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Bjorn - interesting reading.

/Ulf
musicvid10 wrote on 5/23/2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it should be made clear that article is about the latest codec from ON2, not about any Sony software application, the "VP8" moniker notwithstanding.

IMO, ON2 codecs, despite being included in previous Flash releases, are rather mediocre, overhyped, and well behind the prevailing technology. I would not be surprised if the same were true for VP8, too.
farss wrote on 5/23/2010, 2:55 PM
"On a non-technical note, Google has not offered to indemnify anyone who uses VP8 and gets sued for royalties."

MPEG LA does not indemnify anyone either. They simply licence the known patent holders IP.

"Add to that the technical analysis, including the fact that unlike with H.264 there is no hardware support anywhere, so mobile and tablet CPUs have to decode it in software, which drains batteries so quickly they look like spent juice cartons."

You should have said "currently there is no hardware support". Reading the technical analysis there may be issues with implementing some of the functions in hardware. Then again although Google are currently saying the spec is final that could change. This is the advantage of making it open source, unlike Apple's closed shop mind control ethos. Many minds can be bought to bear on improving the design and the implementation. There's a peril with this approach and codecs though. Improvements have to consider what is already encoded. I don't see that as much of an issue with this codec where content can be encoded and decoded on the fly.

Bob.
Coursedesign wrote on 5/23/2010, 3:03 PM
2/3 of videos on the web today are in H.264.

Actually, that number was from a few weeks ago, so it may have increased.

H.264 is an open standard controlled by no single company, and widely implemented in open source as as well as commercial products.
farss wrote on 5/23/2010, 4:30 PM
"H.264 is an open standard controlled by no single company, and widely implemented in open source as as well as commercial products. "

"open standard" is quite different to "open source". Open Standards simply mean anyone may implement the standard. Open Source is generally taken to mean free to use. H.264 is not free to use.
Google's VP8 may or may not circumvent enough of the IP in H.264 to make it open source, the same as X264 which is where the open source development takes place.

Bob.
apit34356 wrote on 5/23/2010, 5:29 PM
Well, in the real world, the author is a junior at college and works(free) on a 264 (lib) support. This is Hardly a real analysis of the codec or a mathematical study. ;-) But is amazing how quick Steve used it to post about vp8 being weaker than 264.

"deep analysis seems to indicate that MPEG-LA will prevail very easily" not if google, sony, etc fight. Sony has a lot more "power" than Apple with "LA". Plus google just announce a major media alliance, "LA" its far from a done deal. Apple wants a pissing contest....... google or IBM can simply buy Novell and ligate Apple OS in non existence. And MS was no interest in helping Apple fight over their mobile OS. ;-)
Coursedesign wrote on 5/23/2010, 5:51 PM
Bob,

x264 is an open source implementation of which codec?

H.264 of course.

And the VP8 source [code] is a total unworkable mess, where it doesn't seem possible for someone to develop an independent implementation.

Apit,

Who is the Steve who had posted about this? Ballmer?

Ballmer is certainly not supporting VP8.

And AFAIK The Other Steve doesn't post anything anywhere.

Sony has a lot more "power" than Apple with "LA"

If you say so. Any particular source for that statement?

IBM has been buying Novell's IP for how long now?

I thought SCO just took two steps backward and one step forward?

And MS was no interest in helping Apple fight over their mobile OS.

MS is not concerned about Apple. It is Google that is killing their mobile business, and that is why MS refuses to support VP8. MS has said they will not support it in IE9.

I would bet my money on Apple to prevail in this codec fight, with good arguments, and I don't think even Google has the power to force VP8 on the earth's population, not even with their Freudian slip "Do no evil." mantra.

apit34356 wrote on 5/23/2010, 6:19 PM
"And AFAIK The Other Steve doesn't post anything anywhere." wrong, check around.

"I would bet my money on Apple to prevail in this codec fight" sounds good! ......................... If serious email me. If you are just talking about just supporting "Steve" position that's cool too! ;-)

MS is concern about Apple because Steve is doing what Bill's been talking about for forever, a monthly money machine....... Bill probably pissing blood watching Steve milk the mobile contract business. Of course, MS has no love for Google but Apple continues to crush MS mp3 business and maybe able to carve video out too from MS business model.

P.S. I don't think MS have ever seriously felt threaten by Apple until now. Bling offers Ms and Apple something to share, but I would not trust MS in any long term alliance if I was offering advice to Apple. MS is just studying Apple a little closer to see what Apple is doing better in the $$$ model and find weaknesses.
apit34356 wrote on 5/23/2010, 6:30 PM
"I thought SCO just took two steps backward and one step forward?" ....haha... SCO just lost the jury trial too. First, the Judge ruled against them, SCO protested that really they meant they wanted a jury trial, then the jury ruled against them. Now they're claiming the jury was too dumb to understand the case! ;-) But that almost sounds like SCO & Apple share the same attorney and court arguments about IPs claims against them.